XXI

I return to my bed to finish tying my shoes. Or shoe, that is. Before I sit down, I see that the rude Erudite guy from earlier is coming down from the bed above mine. "Looks like we're going to be neighbors, Stiff." I keep my eyes on my shoes. "So it would seem."

I glance at him, and he grins. It's not like Zeke's playful smiles, that make you want to laugh right along with him. There's something unsettling about the way this Erudite is looking at me, the way a predator examines his prey before eating it.

Kind of like how Marcus used to stare at me before punishing me. "The name's Eric. Oh, by the way, Cassandra's off-limits. She's my girlfriend. Got it?" I shrug and head to the door. "Whatever." I make my way to the Pit. I don't know why, but I'm starving.

Thankfully, I'm able to get there without getting lost. "Matthew, hey!" I look around, and spot Zeke, waving at me from one of the tables. I sit beside him, and he pushes his plate toward me. It's some kind of triangular pastry... I've never seen it before. "Try this. You'll love it."

He hands me a clean fork, and I cut a little piece off the pastry. "Go on, eat it. It's not poisonous, I promise." I place it in my mouth, and start chewing, not sure what to expect. "It's cake. Good, huh?" I nod and try to talk around the mouthful of cake. "Very."

As soon as I swallow, I eat another bite. "Enjoy yourself. It's not like the cake is mine, or anything." He laughs, and I eat more cake. It's so good! "So tell me, what's up with this name change?" I freeze, and glance around the room to see if anyone heard him. "I didn't like that name anymore. Too...Stiff." Zeke chuckles. "Please don't tell anyone my real name." Zeke grins.

"Sure. What are friends for, Matthew?" He places extra emphasis on my middle name. I smile in gratitude. "Oh, Cassandra! Over here!" Zeke waves, and before I can leave the table, Eric's girlfriend comes over and takes a seat.

Right. Next. To. Me.