VIII

That does it. What makes him think he gets to decide my future? Infuriated, I storm out of my room and down the stairs so quickly you wouldn't know if just taken a beating. Marcus is downstairs, sitting back on his recliner with a newspaper in hand.

"I won't read this. No matter what you do to me, I will not stay in Abnegation for the rest of my life. I have a right to choose." Marcus doesn't even take his eyes off the newspaper. "Oh, but you will boy.. Because if you don't, I'll beat you within an inch of your life. Not that I mind, of course."

He calmly flips to the back of the newspaper. "Besides, that stupid vase won't fare very well if you disobey. It is your decision to make, obviously. But I suggest you choose wisely. I'll be back at six to take you to the town square...and you'd better have the speech memorized."

And with that, he leaves the house, slamming the door behind him. I sigh. No matter how much courage in able to muster, Marcus always wins. I limp to the kitchen table and re read the speech. Good thing I don't have stage fright... Just claustrophobia... Among other things...

I read the stupid thing out loud.

"Citizens. There have been several rumors regarding whether my father, Marcus Eaton, is as just as he seems. I am here to say that those rumors are nothing more than despicable lies. My father has always been my role model. Kind and caring, this man is what has kept me going, so to speak. Especially after my mother's recent and extremely devastating death."

I can barely choke the last phrase out. "And to prove my devotion to my father, to Abnegation, and to serving this community as a whole, I will abstain from transferring to another faction the day of my Choosing Ceremony."