XX

Matt's voice interrupts my thoughts. "To fully adapt to Dauntless life, one must look Dauntless. Follow me and I'll take you to your dorm. All transfers will sleep in the same dorm, so I hope you don't snore." He grins, and gets a few nervous chuckles for his efforts.

"I don't bite, you know. Follow orders and you and I will get along just fine." After taking an even more confusing series of twists and turns, we arrive at the dorm. Matt opens a door littered with graffiti. Why someone would want to write on a door is beyond me.

Inside the dorm are various sets of beds, two beds to each set, one on top and one on the bottom. On the far side is the bathroom. Or at least that's what I think it is. There's a row of holes stuck to the wall, and zero privacy as far as I can see.

No wonder Zeke said I'd love the compound... "You'll find new clothes on each of the bed, and you can wear these until you buy clothes for yourself. Just make sure you put your old clothes in the incinerator on the wall. Faction before blood, right?

Well, I'll leave you all to change. You can do whatever you want afterwards just for today, since you just got here. See you all bright and early tomorrow." Is it my imagination or do his eyes linger on mine? I shift, uncomfortably under his gaze. He walks out of the dorm, and I hurry to one of the bottom beds.

With my luck, I'd probably roll over in my sleep, fall off, and fracture my skull in one of the top beds. I grab the black shirt and pants placed on my bed and change as quickly as possible. As I make my way to the incinerator, Abnegation clothes in hand, I feel something in one of the pockets.

The shard from my vase! I take it out of the pocket. With all that's happened, I'd forgotten about it. Where would I keep it, though? An idea comes to mind as quickly as the question did. I untie one of the shoe laces from my new Dauntless sneakers and tie the shard to the lace.

Then I loop it around my neck and place it under my shirt. There. I hesitate for a moment, but finally force myself to shove the gray mound of clothes into the incinerator.