II

As soon as we get home, Marcus lets go of me. I release the breath I'd unknowingly been holding. "Do not embarrass me like that ever again, do you hear me?"

Before I can answer, he continues to berate me. "The citizens of Abnegation cannot think of me as the guy with an imbecile for a son. You must stop thinking only of yourself, Tobias. How many times do I have to tell you that?"

His words sting more than his belt, but I force myself to stay silent. Finally, he seems to relent, and retrieves a cigarette from the box that he keeps under lock and key. No one else in Abnegation smokes. Must be a perk of being a faction leader. He lights it, inhales, and lets out the smoke. I hate that smell.

"I'm going up to my room to finish my notes for the town council meeting. You best start supper." I look up. Maybe we'll even eat together. I try not to let my excitement show. "Yes, sir."

I hurry to the kitchen and gather the ingredients. Next, I grab a knife from one of the drawers and start chopping. But, like always, I'm too stupid to pay attention.

I think back to the funeral ceremony. That girl - Beatrice. Why was she staring at me? Were my bruises showing? Or...did she...did she like me? No, no, that couldn't be it. The girls at school only liked Erudite bookworms-because they did their homework for them- and Dauntless daredevils-because they were so brave.

No, Beatrice couldn't like- I feel a sudden stab of pain. I look down, surprised. I cut myself. Of course. Maybe I am an imbecile after all. I stare at my hand. This is what it'll be like at the Choosing Ceremony.

What will I choose? I certainly don't fit into Abnegation. According to my father, I'm too selfish. Amity? Too boring. Erudite? I hate school enough as it is. Candor? No way. Dauntless? Hmmm...