VII

Not the blue vase. Anything but that. It's the only reminder I have of my mom, the only thing someone has ever given me without expecting something in return. I can remember that day as clearly as if it were yesterday.

I was seven years old, and my mother was doing her best to take care of my wounds after one of Marcus's countless attacks. "Why does he hate me so much, mom?" I've never stopped wanting to know why Marcus thought it was his purpose in life to make me as me as miserable as possible.

"He doesn't hate you, sweetie. It's just that..well..." I looked up expectantly, anxious to hear her response. Finally, she just shook her head and sighed. "Let's not talk about this, alright? Here. I have a present for you." She quickly locked the door, probably to make sure Marcus wouldn't get in.

She then came back,sat on the edge of my bed, and, very carefully, took out a package from under her gray robe. It was wrapped in crumpled newspapers, but I still thought it was the most beautiful thing ever. "Happy birthday, Tobias. I love you. Never forget that."

No, I had no choice but to do what Marcus told me. I wouldn't let anything happen to that vase. If Marcus got his hands on it... I shook my head. Finally, I force myself to get up and limp over to where the sheet of paper had fallen.

When I bend down to get it, pain rushes to my black eye. I grit my teeth and snatch up the paper. After reading the first few lines, it's all I can do not to burst out laughing. This paper is filled with lies. But the last line shocks me more than any other.

"And to prove my devotion to my father, to Abnegation, and to serving this community as a whole, I will abstain from transferring to another faction the day of my Choosing Ceremony."