XXV

I groan as the piercing sound of my alarm clock jerks me awake. The red numbers glare at me, proclaiming that it's seven o'clock. "Shut off that thing or I'll stab you," Eric warns. I do as he says and head over to the hallway bathroom, where, thankfully, there's an actual door to provide some privacy.

Before I get up, Cassandra walks by, and says, "Good morning, Matt." I nod at her, and she smiles. "Hey, beautiful," Eric tries to get her attention, but she just ignores him and walks away. As soon as she turns her back on us, Eric glares at me.

I roll my eyes and hurry to the bathroom outside before anyone gets there. I lock the door and try to make myself as presentable as possible quickly. I'm out of there in less than ten minutes, because apparently not many Dauntless like the bathrooms in the dorms either.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I shout to be heard over the loud knocks on the door. After quickly brushing my teeth and taking a two-minute shower, I put on the clothes I was given yesterday. Oh well. I'll just have to buy new stuff later. I open the door and let a girl into the restroom. What's her name? Oh, yeah, Lauren.

"Hey." She turns to me and says, "About time you got out." I didn't think I'd been in there that long! "Sorry, I-" Lauren elbows me in the ribs, and I'm taken aback by this strange gesture. "I was kidding. Thanks for...for what you did on the roof the other day. Cassandra's like a sister to me, and I don't know what I would do if she died." It's amazing how sincere she sounds, and just like Zeke, her friendly personality is welcoming.

"It was nothing." Zeke comes up behind me. "Hey, you guys, you're blocking the door. Get a move on, would you?" Lauren sticks her tongue out at him. "If you're in such a hurry, then why don't you just come in here with me?" Zeke winks at her and says, "Don't mind if I do."

He heads over to the bathroom, but before he can get in, Lauren shoves him away. "I was being sarcastic, you pansycake. Wait for your turn." And, just like that, she gets in and slams the door in Zeke's face. I burst out laughing, and wave at Zeke.

"I'm gonna go get some breakfast. See you guys later." Zeke glares at me, but gives up in seconds and smiles. "Fine, laugh at me. Like I care, Stiff. We'll catch up with you in a while. Don't eat all of the cake!"