LXV

"We'll start with you," Rachel continued. I realized she was looking at me. I let go of Cassandra and she opens her eyes. "Good luck," she mouths. I head over to where Rachel is standing, and she motions for me to wait. "Before we begin, I just wanted to announce that Matthew's new name is now going to be Four."

My eyes widen. Matthew kept his promise. I grit my teeth. Whatever. I wouldn't forgive him, no matter what he did. Everyone claps, and I grin. A new name. I would never be the same.

"Let's go, Four." Rachel starts jogging towards the simulation room, and I hurry to catch up with her. She's fast, for a girl. Once we're inside, I take a seat in the chair, bracing myself for the hallucinations. She wordlessly preps the syringe, and I start to feel uncomfortable with how quiet the room is.

I clear my throat, and she glances at me. "Um, thank you for... telling the others." She shrugs. "It was Matt's idea." I flinch at the sound of his name. "He told you, didn't he." It's a statement, not a question. "Yes."

I glare at the floor. "He had no right." Rachel turns to look at me. "Your father and I are best friends. He knows he can tell me anything he wants, and vice versa. Trust me, your secret's safe with me." She turns on the monitor next to my chair.

"Your father really did love your mother, you know. She was everything to him. Back then, I had a huge crush on him." She laughs.

"When I heard your mother was getting married to someone else, I made the mistake of asking him to give me a chance. He turned me down, but we later became close friends. He's told me over and over throughout the years how awful he feels about having left both of you with... him. And to finally be reunited with you after all this time... he told me he'd been so happy. And then you turned and spat on his apology!"

Her eyes widen. "Sorry. I just... think you're being unfair. You didn't give him a chance to explain." I cross my arms. "Why should I? He never lifted a finger to help us. Besides, this isn't really something you have any say in. Just activate the simulation so I can get out of here."

How dare she think she knows best? She has no idea what she's talking about. Rachel shakes her head, but obliges and pushes the needle into my skin.