LVIII

I wake up again, and this time, I'm back in the real world. My shirt is soaked with sweat, and my face is wet. I've been crying. Biting my tongue, I put my head in my hands. I'm shaking. Someone puts a hand on my shoulder, and I jerk back.

"Don't touch me," I warn through clenched teeth. I look up and see that it's just Matthew. "I'm... sorry. I-" Shaking my head, I look away, unable to continue. He gives me a pat on the back, and I find the gesture strangely comforting. He glances at the door and walks over to it, turning the knob and locking it.

"What's wrong?" I frown. Something's going on. But what? Matthew sits across from me, and takes a deep breath. "Matthew, I... how long do you think you were under the simulation?" I shrug, not wanting to recall the horrific experience.

"Thirty minutes?" Matthew shakes his head. "No, Matthew. You were in there for ten minutes, less than half the time of all the other initiates combined." I lean forward. "And?" Matthew sighs. "What were your aptitude test results?" What does that have to do with anything? "Um, textbook Abnegation." Matthew crosses his arms. "You're sure?" I nod. "Positive. I swear."

Shaking his head, he begins to pace back and forth. "That makes no sense," he counters. "Maybe it was just a coincidence. There's no way..." I'm worried. I need answers. "What exactly is going on?" Matthew stares at me for a long time, and finally sits back down again. "I think... Matthew... I think you're divergent."