XXXII

We stumble back into the elevator, and Cassandra leans on me for support. "Come on, I'll buy. It burned like hell, but I liked it." She grins, and I can smell the alcohol on her breath. Before I can protest, she drags me toward the booth, and orders more bottles.

Her voice is so slurred I'm surprised the guy selling the drinks understands her. I grab one of the bottles and Cassandra clings to the other one. I need to sit down, so I guide her to the chasm and we drop to the floor. "Pretty..." Cassandra smiles and looks down at the rushing water.

"Careful..." I place a hand on her arm, suddenly aware of how dangerously close we are to the chasm. She waves my warning away and drains most of her drink. "So... are you... with Eric?"

She looks at me, confused for a moment, but quickly bursts out laughing. "What's so funny?" I put my bottle down, struggling to focus. "Of course I'm not with him, stupid. Eric is a horrible person. Why would a harmless Amity girl like me be with such a pansycake like him?"

She hiccups, and I pat her on the back. "Ummm... just asking. You okay?" She nods, unable to stop hiccuping. "And anyway, you're not that harmless anymore. You're Dauntless." She gives me a small smile. "Kind of Dauntless. I just transferred. Besides, I almost got myself killed in the progress." She laughs humorlessly. "You can do this, Cassandra. I can tell."

She doesn't really believe me, but smiles nevertheless. "Do you really think so?" Before I can stop myself, I reach out and touch her cheek. "I don't just think so. I know so."