XIII

The Dauntless-born initiates move so quickly I can barely keep up with them. I force myself to run as fast as possible and grit my teeth. I wouldn't be factionless. I wouldn't. "Come on, Stiff." Zeke hangs back with me, even though it's obvious he can run a lot faster than I can.

"You can do this. We're almost there." I nod, and gasp for breath. I feel lightheaded already... I realize we're heading to the train tracks. "Hurry up, Tobias. Climb." The tracks loom overhead, and I fight the urge to run away. I hang onto the concrete structure and start climbing.

I notice everyone is lined up on the edge of the track. "What are they waiting for?" Zeke smiles, sweat dripping off his face. "The fun part. We're gonna jump on the train."

I am shocked. I mean, sure, I'd seen Dauntless members jump off moving trains a few times, but to do it myself is something entirely different. "What? How?" Zeke laughs. "You'll see."

I hear the train approaching. Zeke starts running. "Hang onto one of the cars as soon as possible. Hurry!" I bite my tongue to keep from cursing.Hang on to a moving car? Really?

As the train gets closer, I start to jog, trying my best to mimic Zeke's movements. He pulls himself in with ease, and offers me his hand. "Hold on to me!" The train is about to leave me behind, so I force myself to swallow the fear that is threatening to bury me alive, and hang on to Zeke for dear life.

At the last second, he pulls me in, and I collapse on the car floor.