XLIII

I guide Cassandra to one of the bunk beds and help her sit down. "It's okay. It's okay. You're safe. I'm here." My reassurances don't seem to be working, but I'm also trying to convince myself. I embrace her, and try to hold my own tears back. "What...what happened?"

Cassandra sobs, unable to stop crying. "I was getting ready, and...just as I was about to leave... he came in and refused to let me get out. I asked him to get out of my way, but he wouldn't and then... he cornered me and took out that knife... and threatened...threatened to hurt all of you guys if... if... I didn't go out with him..."

He's dead. I'm going to kill him, I vow silently. "Listen to me. You're okay now. I won't let him get near you ever again. I promise." Cassandra looks up at me. "Don't make promises you can't keep." I take her hand and kiss the back of it. "I will protect you. I will."

Cassandra looks away. "Hey. I forgot to tell you. Your mom's out there. Let's go say hi, alright?" She shakes her head. "No. I don't want her to see me like this." I want to protest, but it's her decision to make. "Matt?" I love the sound of my name when she says it.

"Yeah?" Cassandra smiles slightly. "Did I hear you call me your girlfriend?" I reach up and wipe her tears away with my thumb. "Why? Do you want me to?" Cassandra chuckles. "Yes. I do."