LXIII

I hesitate, not sure if I should tell her or not. I can lie, I think. I didn't transfer to Candor for a reason. I shake my head. No, that wouldn't be fair. She told me what her fears were, and I know that I can trust her with mine.

"I only had four... but it was the worst experience of my life. It felt like I was in there for years." Cassandra nods. "Is that why you changed your name?" "Yeah. My fears were claustrophobia... and heights .... and murder ... and ..."

My fists clench. "My father." Cassandra gasps. "Your father? Why?" I look away. "He used to beat me. That's why I left. To get away from him. I'm nothing but a coward."

She laughs. "A coward? You? The guy that jumped off one of the tallest buildings in the city? The guy that stood up for me when Eric almost killed me? I think you're a far cry from cowardly."

She kisses my cheek. "You're the bravest person I know. And besides, we all had a choice. You said so yourself." Her soothing words calm me, but I can't get rid of the guilt I'm feeling. "I did, didn't I?"

I smile, hoping to end her lecture. She knows me a little too well, though. "Are you sure that's all you're worried about?" I nod quickly.

"Yes. That's all. Really." I can tell she doesn't believe me, but gives up anyway. You should have told her about Matthew. Exasperated, I try to ignore my conscience, and focus on enjoying my time with Cassandra instead.

Smiling, she leans forward and kisses me."For the record," she whispers, "I like your new name way better than Matthew."