XII

Cassandra was always one of the most popular kids in school, mostly because she was the Amity leader's daughter, but also because she was nice to everyone. Even me. I'm sure she'll choose Amity.

She hurries to the center, where the bowls await. I glance back at Johanna. Her hands are clasped and it looks like she's whispering something, though I can't hear what. Cassandra takes the knife from Jack and drags it across her palm.

She stands directly in front of the bowls, and, after hesitating for a moment, tips her hand toward the Amity bowl. Then, just before the blood falls, she moves her hand to the left, and just like that, she becomes a Dauntless initiate.

The Dauntless cheer again, and claps and whistles quickly drown out any other noise in the room. As Cassandra walks past Zeke, he whistles, his gaze looking her up and down, but Cassandra just ignores him, her face grim. "She's hot, huh?"

It takes me a moment to realize he's talking to me. "What?" He grins. "Stupid me. I forgot Stiffs find flirting too selfish. I mean, she's pretty, don't you think?"

"I guess." Jack Kang stands in front of the bowls and closes the event as is customary. "Faction before blood." I repeat the words. And with that, the Ceremony is over. The Dauntless storm out, cheering and yelling. I follow them out, refusing to look back.