LXIX

She smiles. "I love you too." I help her up, and we walk back to our table in the Pit. "Tell you what. Since you've been so brave about all this, I... uh..." She looks at me expectantly. "Well, I was wondering if you'd like to... hang out sometime. With me. Just the two of us."

She laughs. "Are you asking me out on a date?" I look away. "Yes, Four, I will go out with you." She leans forward and kisses my cheek. "R-really?" I stammer.

"Yes, really. Tomorrow, alright? We have the afternoon off anyway." I smile. "I don't care when... as long as I'm with you." Lauren takes a seat next to Cassandra, with Zeke in tow.

"Found out you only have four fears. Unheard of!" she exclaims. "Yeah, well. It's still awful, no matter how many you have." Cassandra nods.

"Tell me about it," she mutters. "Anyway, guess what?" Lauren bites into her hamburger. "What?" Cassandra grins at me. "He asked me out on a date." Zeke starts clapping. "You finally did it. I'm so proud of you!"

I roll my eyes. "No way!" Lauren talks around a mouthful of food. "Can we go with you guys?" I smirk. "Heck no." She looks away, and I know I've offended her. "It's nothing personal, but I just... want to have her undivided attention for a while. Please? We can all go out together next time."

Lauren sighs. "Fine. But you two owe us." I nod quickly. "Absolutely. I'll even hang off the chasm if that'll make you forgive me." Lauren raises an eyebrow. "Don't be ridiculous. It's not a bad idea, though... I might take you up on that offer one day if I decide I can't stand you anymore."

They all burst out laughing, even Cassandra. I lean closer to her, and her grip on my hand tightens. "I love you," I whisper.