XIX

Matt lets his warning hang in the air for a minute, and I can tell the other initiates are as shocked as I am. I bite my tongue to keep from saying something that could get me in trouble. Behind me, Cassandra gasps. Matt focuses on her. "Something wrong, initiate?" Cassandra's eyes widen.

"No... no, sir." Matt clasps his hands behind his back. "Good. As I was saying, your rank determines who becomes a member of this faction, as well as what job you get. Your rank will be determined along with the Dauntless-borns.

The higher up you are on the ranking list, the better job opportunities you will have. You will get paid for working, of course, and when you do, you will no longer be able to use the points you are being given right now as initiates. You will be given one hundred points each day to use for food, clothes, and such. About your schedule, it's simple.

Wake up at eight, train until twelve, eat until one, train until five, and free time until eleven. When you get through initiation, you'll be able to make up a schedule on your own." He opens a large metal door that I assume leads to the training room.

"This is where you will learn to defend yourself physically. If you can't take a broken nose or a black eye, rest assured that you will end up factionless. Initiation is divided in two stages, physical and emotional. During the first stage, you will learn how to fight, use a gun, and stay fit.

During the second, you will face your worst fears in order to, in a way, get rid of them." I swallow. Choosing Dauntless is the worst decision I've ever made... Would I be better off living as the factionless piece of trash Marcus always said I was?