1 - Meeting Mr. Arrogant

I just got home from a very tiring night. I and my band had a gig in a famous underground club nearby. It's the weekend and the place was full of party-goers. 

In the morning, very early in the morning, six am to be exact, my housemate, Kate, wakes me up from my two hour sleep. 

"What?" I snap at her, when she constantly shakes me on bed. 

"Wake up Al," she pulls my blanket away from my face, "I'm going." Her voice seems a bit off and I wonder if she's been crying again. 

I pry my eyes open, just a small slit, and see she really is crying. I immediately get up and hug her. "Hey, Kate. What's wrong?" And wait, did she say she's going? I look out the living room through the wide open door of my bedroom and see her luggage. "Kate? Where are you going?"

"I'm leaving, Al. My mom called last night," she sobs, "my dad's in the ICU. I have to go." 

"Oh my god, sweetie," I hug her even tighter, "It's gonna be alright. He's a strong man. Don't worry!" I break the embrace and stand up. I follow her out to the living room. "Call me, ok?"

She nods. I pull her in my arms again before finally letting her off. 

Kate has been my housemate and best friend since I've moved to Seoul. She's from New York and I'm from Seattle. We both teach at the same institute as English teachers. I've been teaching there for two years now, Kate - three years. 

I've met her family once when we took a vacation in New York together and they were really very kind people. Her father owns a dance studio where he teaches little kids modern dance. Her mom is a writer for a magazine. 

Early this week, Kate's been worried sick since her mom won't stop calling about how worried she is about her father. She said he'd been very weak lately and that he just stays at home. Now....OMG. I shed silent tears as I watch my friend get in the cab, still sobbing. 

____

"How's your dad?" It's been a week since Kate left and I've been bored and lonely the whole weekend. 

"The doctor said he still needs to stay in the hospital. I'm just worried since his condition doesn't seem to be getting better." She's sobbing again. 

"Kate. Be strong. Your mom needs you more now than ever. Be there for her. Just stay there as long as you want. I've already talked to our boss and they understand. They're giving you an indefinite leave."

Actually, I'm worried if and when she's coming back. My salary is not enough to pay off the rent of the apartment. I think I might need to move if she stays there longer. 

"Thanks, Al. I'll be sending them an email soon anyway."

One month, and she's still in New York. I had to pay the owner of the apartment the whole rent on my own. I'm now worried how I can be able to feed myself until my next salary. 

"You ok?" One of my co-teachers approaches me one afternoon after my class. "You seem down lately. You haven't even joined us for lunch earlier. Is anything wrong?"

"I'm fine," I sigh. "I think I need to move. I don't know when Kate's coming back. I can't afford the apartment."

"You wanna rent Kate's room out for the meantime?" 

Hmm... that doesn't seem like a bad idea. "I'd ask Kate first. Do you know anybody?"

"Actually, a friend of my friend is looking for a place. He prefers to stay somewhere near his workplace. And your apartment is just a few blocks away from where he works."