Ch. 39 - It's Okay To Cry

As the minister spoke, I zoned in and out of the service. Jace sat on my right with Pauly and Mia on my right. Occasionally one of them would squeeze my hand bringing me back into my consciousness.

I never liked funerals but I tried to pay attention at this one. It was important because he was family. He deserved that much. I couldn’t concentrate on the sermon very well so I settled for memorizing every little thing around me.

  It was set up real nice. The interior of the church was a rich red stained cherry wood with golden pews. The carpet was coal black creating an uncanny contrast against the paneling and pews. People of almost every nationality covered the surface of the church, spilling out into the garden.

At the front of the church, right under the alter, lay the casket. He looked nice, suave as ever in a white linen suit. It looked as if he were sleeping not dead. It looked as if he had just laid down for a nap not died of a massive heart attack on top of having stage three lung cancer.

He looked of the Papoley I knew and loved, not of the Papoley that would no longer be.

Pauley tapped my palm twice signaling service was almost over. I squeezed his hand in appreciation before directing my attention to the minister.

“People come and go in your life for a specific reason. They may be there forever or maybe just for a season. Mr. Jones was a good man but it was his season to go. Don’t cry; dry your eyes because if the lord permits, you’ll see him again. Maybe as a reincarnated angel, or maybe when it is your time to be set free. No one knows why the Lord puts certain people in your life but they’ll be back. I promise.” The minister bowed before stepping away from the microphone.

“If everyone will please stand, bow your heads and close your eyes please.” Everyone obeyed the funeral director as he began the Lord’s Prayer in Papoley’s honor for the last time.

“Our Father, Who art in heaven,

Hallowed be Thy Name;

Thy Kingdom come;

Thy Will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread;

And forgive us our trespasses

As we forgive those who trespass against us;

and lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.

Amen.”

“Now if you please stand, and exit the rows in an orderly fashion. You may view the body and pay your respects one last time before exiting the church.”

Standing at the entrance of the church, tears silently rolled down my face as I watch Papoley’s casket be lifted into the mausoleum wall. His death came so suddenly. I had just seen him a few weeks prior and he was still walking around having a good time, like every other day.

Even though I was having a hard time coping, Jace was worse off than me. He wouldn’t eat anything; speak to anyone, no nothing. He closed himself off from the world. You could often catch him with a far off look in his eyes as if he were in another world.

Madrina said to give him space and I tried, I honestly did. It was hard to stay away from him especially when I knew he was hurting. I felt bad because I couldn’t take the pain away. Papoley was the only blood related father figure he had. My dad didn’t necessarily count always because he doubled as a boss and disciplinarian too.

Looking around at all those who had turned up, I felt an overwhelming sense of pride. Members from both sides of the family plus old and new mafia members had showed up to show their respect.