Chapter Twenty-Eight

COMMENT.VOTE.COMMENT.COMMENT.VOTE.VOTE.VOTE.COMMENT.VOTE.COMMENT.

“And waiting is all that I can do, until you find your way back to me.” Find Your Way Back by Michelle Branch

“Ryan, honey, since you’ll be at the school, can you give Sky a ride to the resort? I don’t care if you guys don’t talk, there’s just not many options. Pick her up at 2:30. Thanks sweetie!”

I stare at the phone when my mothers message ends. She wanted me to do what? I must have heard her wrong because, well, that just couldn’t happen. Not now at least. And who in their right mind calls at eleven the night before to tell me this? Was she just waiting until last minute so that I couldn’t back out of it?

So much for not listening to messages until lunch.

I sigh and head off to class. I’d have to leave early from there to get to the dorms by 2:30 since that’s when my class gets out. Though I have absolutely no problem skipping a couple minutes of Business Law, it’s not exactly the most exciting topic out there.

When I get out of class I walk straight to the dorms. Hopefully my mom let her know about this too, so it didn’t seem like I was just popping in. I get to her door and knock. That instant it opens to an unfamiliar face.

Which is when it hits me that I never met the roommate. Probably because most of the time, Sky came to the house, not the other way around.

“Um, hi, is” I pause for a second, wondering which name I’m supposed to use, “is Veronica here?”

The girl gives me a strange look and shakes her head no, “Veronica doesn’t live here.”

I scratch the back of my neck nervously, slightly embarrassed about that mix-up. “Oh, um, is Sky here then?”

She nods and opens the door a little wider before screaming “Sky! There’s another hot guy here for ya’!” And with that, she disappears around the corner. I glance around the room, noticing that a lot had changed since the last time I was here. If I walked into this last month I would have said Sky decorated it, but instead at the time it looked a lot more girly.

“Liam! Thank god you beat Ryan here-” When she sees that I’m not Liam she stops, probably from shock.

I ignore her comment though it really hit deep. Could she have actually moved on that fast? And why doesn’t she want me to know? But that’s for a later time since right now, we need to leave. “Um, I’m supposed to give you a lift.” I state the obvious, not knowing what else to say.

“Ryan, I-”

I didn’t want this conversation right now so I just cut her off, “are you ready to go?” she nods her head slightly and walks back into her room.

Her roommate comes out and leaves, not even acknowledging that I’m there but says hi to someone behind me. So I turn around to find another guy, probably Liam, standing there.

“OH. EM. GEE! Sky you didn’t tell me your boyfriend was Ryan Richards!!!!” I let out a sigh of relief knowing that he was gay and not some guy Sky would be dating.

I heard chuckling as Sky came out of the other room with her suitcase. She looks between the two of us and rolls her eyes. “Liam, this is Ryan Richards. Ryan, this is Liam Henderson. He’s my lab partner for chemistry.”

I guess Liam saw something change in me, now that I knew her lab partner wasn’t the other Liam I was thinking of who I knew was in her class. He grins like a fool, “You thought her lab partner was Liam Taylor, didn’t you?” I shift my eyes to the floor, ignoring the question. “Well you don’t have anything to worry about. Now, if you were my lab partner…” He trails off and I raise my eyebrows at Sky. She was obviously amused at the scene that was playing out in front of her.