Chapter Thirteen

“All of my memories keep you near. In silent moments, imagine you’d be here.” Memories by Within Temptation

The guys decided to have a Friday the Thirteenth party since that’s what today is. They also chose to have the party at my house instead of, you know, any of theirs.

“I still can’t believe you practically kicked my fiancé out of her own house.” I tell the guys as they cue up the movie.

“kicking out implies that we didn’t give her a choice.” Blake argues, “we specifically said that we’d be watching Friday the Thirteenth and she chose to go out with her friends.”

“whatever. let’s get this over with.” I don’t know what gave them the idea that they could just walk into my house.

“aw, is Ryan mad at us?” Nate teases.

“as a matter of fact, yes. Just because I live on my own doesn’t mean y’all can come over whenever you want.”

“dude chill, it’s just a movie night with the guys. Veronica really didn’t seem to mind at all.”

“I don’t care if she minds, I mind.”

The movie gets to the main menu and I grab the remote to press play. “hold it.” Blake takes the remote from me. “What’s really going on?”

“you guys-”

“no, no. I know you Ryan and usually you’re more thankful to have a guys night then be stuck here. No matter how much you care about Veronica, you still like having time away from her.” Damn Blake knows me too well, “so I repeat, what’s really going on?”

“tomorrow’s Valentines day.” I mumble. They all look around at each other and then back at me, waiting for me to continue. “I got Sky a computer last year for Christmas so that we could stay in touch while I was off at school. I had set it up with all the latest stuff and for Valentines day I made it so that his video would pop up when she turned on the computer.” The group aw’s and I through a pillow at them. “now though, I have no idea what to do for Veronica.”

“well…” Nate lists out exactly what to do and instead of watching a horror film that night we plan the best Valentines day.

~~~

I woke up early the next day and started making breakfast. This part was Eli’s idea mainly because he was hungry at the time, but still breakfast in bed is always romantic. There was also the upside that I now knew how to cook a lot better than I had before.

When I finished making the pancakes and everything I put it on a tray. It was about nine then so she should be up.

I knock lightly on the door and open it. The sight in front of me wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. Veronica was sitting up in bed with her computer open, tears running down her face. When she saw me she quickly shut the computer and attempted to clean up her face.

“what happened?”

Veronica ignored my question, “you made breakfast.”

“yeah…um, happy valentines day.” She smiles and quickly gives me a kiss. I set the tray down next to her and then take a seat. “now, tell me what’s wrong.”

She takes a breath, “my ex, he just sent me an email.” a short laugh escapes her lips, “I guess I wasn’t as over him as I said I was.”

“don’t worry about it.” I kiss her forehead, “now eat before your food gets cold. Then we’ll-”

“then we’ll what? Didn’t I tell you Ryan?”

“tell me what?” I never did like it when people forgot to tell me important stuff, like I’m sure Veronica was just about to do.