Chapter Twenty-Two

^^^She gave me the idea of Katie slapping/hitting Ryan. which is pretty much what this whole chapter started out as when I first wrote it and then it morphed into the final piece. So thanks!!

“I had hoped you’d see my face and that you’d be reminded that for me, it isn’t over” Someone Like You by Adele

It’s obvious that Veronica said yes. Well come morning her exact words were “Ryan Richards get down on your damn knee and ask me properly!” But, ya know, it was a yes in her own words. Scarlet, as promised, took Veronica out for the day so I had the house to myself.

So, I did what I always did when I was alone in the house. I called up the guys. Nate was the only one free to hang out. I don’t know how we ended up sorting through boxes for hours, but, well, we were really bored.

“I can’t believe you still have this trophy,” Nate comments, laughing at the golden trophy from our first grade t-ball team. They somehow confused my name and the trophy reads ‘Richard Ryans,’ I guess it’s close enough.

“why wouldn’t I?”

“just seems random to keep I guess.” We were separating out things that would be put in the attic and thing, that, well, wouldn’t.

“it’s a memory from our childhood. And it goes into the attic.”

“figured as much.” He sets it into that pile, “who would have thought that at the age of nineteen you and I would be sorting out random stuff. To be put in your house nonetheless.”

“You mean you never dreamed about this day Nate?” I joke.

“oh yeah dude, every night.” I move a stack of year books to the attic pile and come upon something I honestly never wanted to see again. “Ryan, you okay?”

I stare down at the picture, remembering the perfect moment as if it were yesterday. “uh, yeah, fine.”

Nate looks over my shoulder and gasps at the picture, “…when?”

“I was still with Amanda. It was at the beginning of the play.”

“oh. Do you want me to put it in the attic?”

“no. no, I need this with me.”

“you’re getting married Ryan…like, legitally married.”

“I know. But, how much more perfect can this picture get?”

“besides the fact that you were cheating on your girlfriend?”

I ignore his comment and continue with my short rant, “I mean, I love the girl, so what’s the matter with me?”

Nate slips the picture frame out of my hands and sets it aside, “Ryan, listen to me. Sky will be starting school in the fall, at Stanford. Sure there are thousands of students there, but in the end, I’m sure you’ll find her and get some closure. In the mean time you have a fiancée that you love.” Though I know what he said, the only piece of information I got out of his speech was Stanford. Nate must have seen that ‘I thought of something,’ look on my face since he frowned. “oh no, what did I say?”

“Stanford. If I can just get a hold of the application…” if I could get the papers, I could get her information.

“no. Ryan, I will not allow you to do this.”

“you said-”

“I said you’ll run into her on campus. This isn’t running into her. This is stalking her. I don’t want to see you, Veronica, or Sky get hurt in this little problem of yours. You’re getting married to Ronni. Not by choice, but you’ve grown to love her. What’s missing?”