'Alia, we've talked about this. We aren't going to try any of those methods. Maybe adoption someday, but, right now, we agreed to just focus on the life we do have.' I didn't like talking about this and I didn't want to have this conversation when it's supposed to be a happy day.

'I'm not talking about any of that.'

'Then?'

'Just be glad we didn't get rid of Anjali's baby stuff.' She was really grinning at me now, waiting for the penny to drop I think.

'Why?' I asked, still not getting it.

'We're going to need it.' At my confused look, she elaborated. 'Varun, I'm pregnant.' My mind went numb for a minute before exploding with happiness. Not caring about the people around us, I kissed her.

'Guys! How many times? Get a room!' Sid shouted from across the room, bringing us thudding back to reality.

'Sid, why do you never just let us have a moment?' I asked.

'Because I don't want to see it.' Alia rolled her eyes.

'Nobody is making you look.' She told him, making everyone laugh.

'Why do I never win?' He pouted.

'It's okay, Sid. No guy ever wins against a girl.' Shraddha said.

'She's right. It's probably a lesson you want to learn from now.' I agreed.

'We all know you've learnt it. Alia's got you wrapped around her little finger.' Rahul joked.

'I think you'll find it's more Anjali who has him wrapped around her little finger. Right, Anju?' Pooja asked.

'Yep.' Anjali answered, leaving the crowd of relatives and bouncing towards us.

'And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.' I said, bending down to pick her up.

'You're not the only one who will bend to her wishes. That's all of us.' Ma said. Anjali grinned.

'Okay. Enough of this discussion. Everyone's here, let's start this party!' Rohit called from the boom box.

'Music time!' Anjali called, squirming to be put down. I set her on the ground and she happily danced.

***

'So, when are we going to tell her?' I asked Alia towards the end of the day. Anjali was still running around, full of energy she got from who knows where.

'It's a good birthday present don't you think?'

'You want to tell her now?'

'Yeah. Before we open presents and cut the cake.'

'Okay. Let me go grab her.' I went over to where she was playing some kind of game with Sid.

'Papa, is it cake time yet?' She asked.

'Not quite. Me and mummy have something to tell you.' Sid looked at me curiously and I sent him a look to tell him he would find out soon enough. 'We've got a special present for you.' I told Anjali. Her eyes lit up at the word present and she rushed over to Alia, tugging my hand to make me go faster.

'Someone's excited.' Alia laughed.

'Daddy said special present. What is it?' She wasn't asking because she wanted more presents, she didn't really care about that, she was just very curious.

'Do you remember when you started nursery and you were learning about families?' I asked.

'Yeah. And we had to draw family trees. That was fun.'

'It was wasn't it? But do you remember learning about how some kids have brothers and sisters?' Alia asked.

'Yep. Like you have two sisters and a brother, mummy. And daddy has a brother.' She stated, nodding.

'Would you like a little brother? Or a little sister?' I asked.

'Why?'

'Well, in about eight or nine months, you're going to have a baby brother or sister.' Alia said.

'Really?' We both nodded. 'Why does it take so long?' A child's curiosity is limitless.

'The baby has to grow before it can be born, so he or she can be healthy and strong.' I explained.

'Baby won't have to go to hospital so much like I do will she? I don't like the hospital and I don't think baby would either.' I smiled, already such a protective big sister and she'd just found out.

'Hopefully baby won't have to be in hospital so much. And hopefully you won't have to either. But baby will be in hospital for a few days right after he or she is born. And so will mummy.' I told her.

'Like I was after I was born. But that's because babies need to be watched for a little while.' She stated.

'Yep. And they need lots of love and care.' Alia said.

'I'll help. I can help warm bottles and change clothes and play with the baby. And I'll love her so much.'

'Her? We don't know if the baby will be a girl yet, Angel.' I told her.

'She will. I don't want a baby brother, they're annoying and loud and not nearly as fun to play with as baby sisters. Naina told me. Her baby brother just wants to play with mud all day.'

'Okay. We'll see what happens.' Alia laughed.

'We get to decorate the baby's room right? Can I help?' Anjali asked.

'When it comes to it. For now, how about we open your presents and cut your cake.'

'Yay! Cake time!' She bounded off to the table where the cake was, climbing on to the chair easily.

'You realise that soon we are going to have two little bundles of energy.' Alia told me.

'We'll manage. Right now, we need to focus on keeping this one from having too much sugar.' Alia nodded, laughing slightly, and leading the way over to the group now crowded around the cake.

I looked at my family, all of us in one place, laughing and joking. This time next year, there would be one more and honestly, I can't wait.

A/N: The whole birthday surprise idea was really Tanvi_VaruNyiesha. I really hope you enjoyed it, despite its shortness.

If anyone else has anything they'd like me to try, just let me know.

Till next time.