Chapter 48

Zoey's pov (a month later)

"They're ready for you to go get your hair and makeup done, Zoey," Calum says, walking over to me.

"Go get your stage face on, Zoey," Charlotte teases. I roll my eyes at her and stand up.

Char, Peyton, and Jace all call the makeup I wear on stage my 'stage face'. They think it's hilarious. Me, not so much. But it makes them happy so I put up with it.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," I say to my best friends, "by the time I'm back, you guys should have all of the stage face jokes gone." They grin mischievously at me as I turn and walk away.

On my way back to the dressing rooms, where they also do our hair and makeup before each concert, I ran into Tim and Polly from management.

"There you are, Zoey Noel," Tim says, a creepy smile on his face. I roll my eyes. For some reason, all of the people from management like to call me 'Zoey Noel' instead of just 'Zoey'.

"Tim, Polly, what a surprise. I didn't know you guys were going to be here," I say, putting fake enthusiasm in my voice.

"That's because we didn't tell anyone, sweetie," Polly says, smiling coldly at me.

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because we figured that if we didn't tell anyone, then the boys wouldn't try to hide you away or do anything silly like that, which would only delay the inevitable," she continues. I give them a puzzled look.

"You know, they might try to prevent you leaving," Tim tells me.

I start to choke on air. What the hell are they talking about? Me leaving?

"Wha- what the hell are you talking about? I'm not leaving," I say, my voice coming out small.

"Sweetie, maybe it's best if we talk about this with the boys too. Where are your brothers?" Polly asks. I don't answer. My brain wasn't working properly.

"Tim? Polly? What are you two doing here?" Ashton asks, walking over to us.

"We need to talk to you guys. And Zoey," Tim answers.

"Well the rest of the boys are over there," he tells them, his smile faltering. He sends me a questioning look. I bite my lip then run over to him. I wrap my arms around him, holding on tightly. Polly, who walked over to get Cal, Luke, and Mikey, returns with them.

"Don't let them take me," I sob into Ashton's shirt, clinging onto him desperately.

"Take you? What are you talking about, Zoey?" Calum asks. I glance behind me and see that the other three had moved closer to me and Ashton.

"Zoey is talking about the fact that she is no longer an Irwin," Tim answers.

"That's bull shit!" Ashton exclaims, holding onto me tightly.

"No, Mr. Irwin, it is not. See, when you four signed this contract, agreeing to the publicity stunt of adopted a child, you also agreed that he or she would only be with you for a year and a half. Then, they would be returned to their former orphanage," Polly explains, holding up a contract. Luke snatches it out of her hand.

"We've had her for more than a year and a half though," Calum protests.

"Yes, but only because she was making us some serious money. Now it's time for her to go back. Come along Zoey Noel. Your bags are already packed," Tim says, reaches out for me.

"Luke?" Michael asks, looking at him hopefully. We all were. He swallows hard and shakes his head no. They weren't lying. I have to go with them.

Before any of us can register what's happening, one of Tim and Polly's bodyguards rips me out of Ashton's arms. I scream and start crying harder as he throws Mr over his shoulder.

"You can't do this!" Michael yells, grabbing Tim's arm. The boys were all starting to cry.

"Yes, in fact we can, Mr. Clifford. Don't you boys worry about Zoey Noel. She'll boys fine," Polly lies. The other body guards for management hold my brothers back as Tim, Polly, the body guard holding me, and I leave. The last thing I see before we exit the building is Ash, Cal, Luke, Mikey, Peyton, Char, Jace, and Bryana all freaking out and trying to break through the body guards to get to me.

They couldn't.