Chapter 37

Zoey's pov

"Good night, Zoey," Peyton says, kissing my forehead. I wrap my arms around his torso and squeeze him tightly. He stands up and leaves my room.

I grab my phone from the nightstand and unlock it. I smile at my background, a picture of me, Luke, Calum, Michael, and Ashton being stupid. Then I click on Instagram.

I scroll through that, then check my twitter for about half an hour, before I get tired. I close out of the apps, then put my phone on the nightstand. I turn out the light and wait for sleep to come to me.

Only it doesn't. My mind keeps wandering. And I was not happy about what I was thinking about. Riley.

I don't know why, but my ex boyfriend was consuming my mind. He wanted me back. But why? He could be lying, but I don't think so. He looked so honest and vulnerable earlier. I don't think he was lying. But then again, I didn't think he was lying before. But earlier felt different. I decide that he wasn't lying.

But why did he want me back? I mean, now Annabelle isn't here to boss him around and make him date me. Unless he actually did like me. Like, like me like me. Oh shit.

I shake my head, trying to clear all thoughts of Riley out of my head. It wasn't working. I give up and climb out of bed. I walk out of my room, over to the connecting suite my brothers were in.

I find Ashton's room and walk inside. He was still awake, scrolling on his phone, the light from the screen lighting up his face. I go over to his bed and climb up onto it.

"Oh. Hey Zoey. What's up?" Ashton asks, setting his phone down.

"I need advice. Like, right now," I say, biting my lip. He studies my face for a second, then nods, patting the space beside him on the bed. I sit down and lean into his shoulder.

"What's wrong Zoey?" Ashton asks, as we sit in the darkness.

"Don't be mad. But I can't stop thinking of Riley. I don't know what it is. I love Peyton, but Riley won't get off of my damn mind. I don't think he was lying ealier. And he seemed to genuinely want to get back together, not for any publicity or anything," I blurt out. Ashton's quiet.

"Ash?" I ask, worried.

"Zoey I'm not going to lie and say I know what you're going through. Or tell you what to do. You've got to listen to your heart on this one, and hope that you hear it right," Ashton tells me.

I think for a minute, "Thank you, Ash. I needed that."

"No problem, Zoey. Now go to bed. We've got to be at the venue early in the morning," he tells me. I nod and snuggle into his chest, feeling much better about life.

The next morning we were at the venue. Mikey, Luke, Cal, and Ashton were helping unload their stuff. Charlotte had gone to the bathroom and Peyton and Jace were hanging out together. I was all alone.

Now, for what happened next, I must've done something absolutely horrible to have karma hot me as hard as it did.

I glance up from my phone and see Riley standing off to my right. I do a double take, then jump up.

"Hey Zoey," he says, "did you think about what I have to do to get you to take me back?"

"Take him back? Zoey, what's going on?" Peyton's voice asks from my right.

Well shit.