Chapter 9

Zoey's pov

"Mikey, why do we have to go to the mall?" I whine, as my older brother and I walk through the parking lot.

"Because I missed you, and want to hang out with you. Now, where do you want to go?" Michael replies.

"Why do I have to choose?" I question, pulling at the dress that Charlotte had forced me to wear this morning.

"Because I said so. Now what do you want to do?" He asks.

"Anything I want?" I ask. Michael nods.

"Then I want to go home, change back into my sweats, then snuggle up with you, Cal, Luke, Ash, Char, and Peyton and watch a movie, or something," I tell tell him.

"Okay, anything you want to do r hat is at the mall," Michael rephrases.

I think for a minute, then grin widely.

"Why don't we go over to the animal shelter and play with the puppies?" I ask.

"Dude, that is the best idea ever! Come on!" Mikey yells, grabbing my arm and pulling me out of the mall, back to our car.

We arrive at the animal shelter and few minutes later, and go inside. Besides the middle-aged woman who was working the front desk, there was no one to be seen.

"How can I help y'all today?" The lady asks with a southern accent.

"We want to go look at the puppies," Michael answers.

"Alrighty. Right this way," she instructs. She walks out from behind her desk, and gestures for us to follow her as she walks down a hallway.

She pushes a door open, and lets us inside. Michael and I enter the room, and are immediately surrounded by puppies, wanting to say hi and play with us.

"Just ask if you have any questions, okay?" The lady says. Michael and I nod. She smiles at us, then closes the door.

"Oh my gosh! They're all so cute! I just want to take them all home with me!" I yell, as a swarm of puppies climb onto my lap, licking me.

"I don't know about all of them, but you can take one home. If you want," Michael offers. I turn and look at him, shocked.

"Really?" I ask, "You're letting me adopt a puppy?" Mikey nods happily, and picks up another puppy, letting it lick his face.

I grin and look around the room of puppies, trying to figure out which one I want. I mean, they were all so cute and fluffy. I still want them all.

Then my eyes land on a tiny puppy in the corner of the room, struggling to get out of the cage he was in. He kept barking and jumping up, but he couldn't escape. My heart melts.

I take the dogs off of my lap, then walk over to him. When he sees me approaching, he sits down and waves his tail. I bend down and pick him up.

"This is him, Michael. This is the one I want," I tell my older brother, smiling at my dog.

Michael grins at me, then stands back up. And the two of us leave the puppy room to go tell the lady we had found the one.