'Shaheen...she didn't make it?' I asked just to make sure I heard right.

'I'm sorry. But, the baby does come first.' I nodded. That's when the fog cleared a little.

'The baby, did my sister get the chance to name her?'

'No. She saw her, but that was it.'

'Can I see her?'

'I'm afraid you'll have to wait until they've gotten her cleaned up and done the preliminary checks. But I will send someone out then.' I nodded and the doctor gave me yet another sympathetic look before going back through the doors.

I sank into a chair, wishing I had someone with me.

I felt my phone digging into my side, so I took it out of my pocket. I accidentally hit the lock button as I did. The screen came on and I looked at the background picture. It was an old picture, from over a year ago now. It was a picture of me and Varun, the person who had been my best friend, my shoulder to cry on, my support. We hadn't spoken in months, but right now I needed him.

So, I called him and hoped he would pick up.

Varun P.O.V.

If your phone rings at 3 a.m. you know it's an important call. Especially when you haven't spoken to the person calling in six months.

I was still awake when I got the call. I knew that it was Alia calling because Samjhawan was her ringtone. I wouldn't have picked it up if it were anyone else.

'Alia? Everything okay?' I asked, already knowing the answer would be no.

'Varun, thank God you answered.' I could hear the tears in her voice.

'What's happened?' I was immediately alert.

'Look, I know we don't really talk anymore and I'm really sorry for calling you so late, but I need you.'

'Don't apologise, you need me, I'm there. Where are you?' I asked.

'At the hospital.' I started to worry a little.

'Are you okay?'

'Physically, yes. But that's about it.'

'Alright. I'm on my way.' I didn't give her chance to protest before I hung up.

Thankfully, the roads were mostly clear at this time of night so it didn't take me long to get to the hospital. I parked my car and went inside, immediately spotting Alia.

I went over to where she was sat on one of the chairs and she stood up. She hugged me and I could feel her small frame shaking slightly.

'It's okay. I've got you.' I murmured, stroking her hair to try and comfort her. I couldn't help but notice that she still fit against me like a puzzle piece. I tried not to pay attention to that though, mainly focusing on calming her down. She was still crying on my shoulder. 'It'll be okay. Everything will be okay.' I told her, though I wasn't sure what was wrong.

I kept whispering words of comfort and after five minutes, she calmed down enough that she wasn't crying. She picked her head up off my shoulder.

'Sorry, I kind of drenched your shirt.' She sniffed.

'It's fine. It's just a pyjama top.' She wiped at her face and I felt in my trousers pocket, sure I had a tissue or something. I found a face towel, don't ask I really don't know, and handed it to her. She tried for a grateful smile but it ended up as a sort of grimace. 'You want to tell me what happened?' She nodded, but before she could, a nurse came out through the double doors and headed towards us. Alia broke out of the hug and turned towards the nurse.