- XVIII -

Louis POV

Slowly, the colour drained from her face.

She read it.

I tell my brain to shut up.

She stares at her phone in disbelief.

I know that there is only one thing that is making her this upset.

"Kaia..." I say quietly.

Without saying anything, she gets up and runs away from the kitchen, not stopping for anything.

"Kaia!" I yell, trying to catch up to her.

How did she get so fast at running?

When I reach the porch, I slip on a pair of my sneakers and start out the door.

"Kaia wait!" I beg. "Please!"

She stops.

She turns around.

"And what are you going to say to me?" She asks. I can see her tear-stained cheeks. "Hey, Louis? What are you going to say? That you can 'explain'? That it was an accident? I've seen pretty much every single movie with that stupid cliché line, you know. Where the guy can 'explain' his mistake. Well this isn't a movie, Louis. And I'd suggest you just let me leave, okay?"

And with that, she turned back around and started running again.

I stand in the exact spot I was for quite some time.

Not moving. Not speaking.

Just standing there.

I may have heard some of the boys call out my name, telling me to come back inside, but I didn't listen.

Even though I was outside in the middle of winter in a t-shirt and pyjama pants, I felt nothing.

I just stood there.

Looking the direction that she ran.

I just lost one of the most amazing people in the world.

You blew it, my mind scolds me.

I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Harry I'm not in the mood," I say, emotionless.

"How did you know it was me?" he asks. I can imagine him scrunching his eyebrows in confusion.

"I just know."

"Lou, what happened?"

"She left. She saw what happened at the club and she left. I told her not to believe it. I should have known she would've found out."

"Wait? What happened at the club?"

"Danielle was there. She was drunk. She kissed me."

Silence.

This is exactly why I didn't want anyone knowing.

They're all gonna think I'm some womanizer now.

"Louis..." Harry says after a while.

"I get it. You think I'm some kind of player," I say. "That I don't care about any girls' feelings. That's a lie. I love Kaia. And then a shitty accident happened and I lost her."

"That's not what I was thinking at all," he says.

"What were you gonna say?"

"I don't know... I just... I wasn't going to say that."

I sigh, letting myself crumple to the ground, sitting on the edge of the sidewalk.

"Come on, Lou," Harry says. "It's winter and you're outside wearing almost nothing."