31- Blackness.

Enjoy! xx

Chapter 31

Derek’s P.O.V.

            I was following Nova as she ran faster and deeper into the woods. I knew if she caught me she would only hate me more, and would quite possibly shoot me with more arrows or bullets. Most people would tell me I was an idiot for what I was doing; especially Nick. He always said nothing was worth losing over a girl; but he was wrong. I would do anything for Nova in a heartbeat, even if that meant die for her.

            That’s exactly what’s going to happen, if you keep following her! My inner voice seethed. I knew it was a huge risk, but Nova was reckless when she was angry, and I had to make sure she didn’t get herself into a bind that she couldn’t get out of.

            I was only running at about half speed, mainly to stay behind Nova. She was fast for a human, but I was always going to be faster. I watched while she looked around every corner, aiming her gun at every noise. I watched her run out of breath, and eventually have to take a short break.

            Even now, when she was covered in weaponry and muck from the woods, she looks beautiful. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her, even if I wanted to. While she started running again, I followed behind her stealthily and got caught up in my own thoughts.

            I thought of the first day I met Nova. Her scent hit me like a ton of sweet, honey and apple-butter flavored bricks. She acted like she had no interest in my looks, or my charm; but her heartbeat told me otherwise. I thought about the day her brother pranked her, and she was so fired up and angry steam was almost radiating off of her. We almost had a perfect day, if not for the alpha. In fact, the alpha had been messing up my relationship with Nova ever since.

            He had marked her, which only makes her connected to him in ways no one but a werewolf would know. He had taken her away from me, just before I got to taste he sweet lips. He made her father come back, and he had twisted himself into her mind. Changing her, and making her belief I was the spawn of Satan; or at least that’s what she acted like.

            I remember the day she first came back from being kidnapped by her fathers, when I pressed against her in the hall, her body replied to mine in a way of want and need. When she told me to go away, it was like a stab in my heart. I wanted nothing but to love and protect her but she was terrified of me. Her body craved me while her mind wanted nothing to do with me. At first I had no clue why she was acting so conflicted; but now I think I do.

            If what her father said was right, that we were these so-called ‘mates’, maybe she couldn’t help but respond that way towards me. Of course that’s why, nimrod! She’s ours. Always has been, and always will be. Nothing she can say or do will change the way she feels about you. Nothing.

            Huh, maybe my inner voice was helpful. But only sometimes! Most of the time is was an annoying pain in my side, the kind that you couldn’t get rid of.

            I heard a thump, followed by a muffled, “Oof!” coming from none other than Nova herself, and I stopped my thoughts immediately; coming closer to her to make sure she was alright. I rolled my eyes, she had tripped; again.

            Only Nova West would trip at a time like this. I quickly sprinted back out of her view when I knew she would be alright; and continued watching. I heard two additional heartbeats; one strong, and one beating dangerously slow, and tensed up immediately.

            A sound, soft enough to be a pained whimper, but loud enough for Nova- and I- to hear it was in the distance ahead. I knew Nova would jump to the sound without thinking about what she was stepping into, so I continued to pursue her.