I closed my eyes, and then she was gone. Her words stung like a knife in the chest. I was sure she was gone, but I heard a heartbeat, and then footsteps. But then I heard laughter? It was a man laughing, and then I knew who it was.

            “It hurts. Doesn’t it, beta?” Nova’s father John said to me.

            I took a breath, my chest stinging from Nova’s words, plus I was still a bit weak from the arrow in my chest fiasco. “Wolfsbane arrows to the chest aren’t exactly a walk in the park. Why don’t you try one out for size?” I sarcastically replied. I seriously needed to go protect Nova; she couldn’t handle an alpha all by herself! Screw her warning.

            I winced in pain when a heavy foot placed itself on my throat, accompanied by another laugh, “I wasn’t talking about the arrow.” He removed his foot, and began circling around me. “It’s funny, isn’t it? How the rejecting words of a werewolf’s mate can affect him? It feels like you’ve been punctured in the heart, doesn’t it?”

             I just looked at him, my expression being my answer.

            He continued circling me and talking, “I had my suspicions about you and my daughter, and I got my answer when she didn’t kill you.  If you were any other werewolf she would have.”

            “You don’t seem too happy about the whole, mate thing.” I said, I was internally baffled at what he was saying, because now he, and my dreams were telling me Nova and I were mates, and I still wasn’t entirely sure what that meant.

            “Oh, that’s because I’m not.” He put his foot on my chest again, stepping down hard, “and the only reason I’m not going to kill you, is because that would break my daughter completely. But you are going to stay away from her, if that’s the last thing I do.”

            He glared and then walked off, going in the opposite direction of Nova.

            I got up, and I noticed a familiar heartbeat not 10 feet from me; I instantly knew it was Nova. I walked in a direction away from her, and away from her father. I would wait in the shadows; until she was far enough ahead that she wouldn’t notice me looking after her, but close enough that I could save her dumbass when she got near the alpha.

So Nova was my mate, whatever the truly meant; I had no idea. But I did know one thing; I sure as hell wasn’t going to stay away from her. I had a feeling that would hurt worse than her hating me.

Nova’s P.O.V.

            I felt terrible that I had shot Derek, I rubbed my chest, feeling a slight tug of pain in there. I wasn’t sure why it hurt; but it did. I had to be cruel to Derek, it was for his own good and safety. I trudged through the woods, and felt around for my bullets. I froze when I realized they weren’t there.

            I must’ve left them back where I shot Derek! God, I’m so stupid. I quickly made my way back, just in time to overhear something I obviously shouldn’t have.