Chapter Twenty D is for be the Damsel's Duke

D is for be the Damsel’s Duke

Chapter Twenty

Dean held tightly to the lead of his golden Labrador Daisy Duke, yes the dog did get her name after The Duke’s of Hazard. Dean was totally nerdy and like that, though some might call it creepy.

Dean loved retro things and there was nothing more he loved the most then his dear Daisy Duke.

Dean was the type of guy girls dreamed about he was caring and considerate and above all he was loyal. Maybe he got his loyalty from his four legged friend, or maybe he was just a gentle guy simply misunderstood.

But never the less he was a good guy, his family praised him and he was set up to attend any Ivy League college of his choice. Dean Tracey was going places and surely he didn’t need to have a girl by his side, especially if all women acted and behaved as Clara often did.

Deep in thought Dean slipped on the sidewalk and fumbling for his balance fell to the pavement Daisy’s lead being let go and the dog running down the street. Dean rushed to his feet to chase after her but when he raced around the corner he saw the playful dog in the arms of an over dressed Brooklyn Girl.

“Is she yours?” asked Tess handing the dog to Dean.

“Yeah her name is Daisy” replied Dean stepping back to see Tess.

Although she looked like she had ran the city marathon she was still beautiful, Dean felt his insides swell with happiness at seeing her so soon.

“So sweet” She smiled and Dean smiled back.

“I was taking her to the park, but she got away!” Dean looked to see daisy licking Tess’s face as Tess bent down to pat her. “You look like you’ve just been at a loft party or something of fancy origin; very different from the you I’ve seen before!”

“I had to have dinner at my Grandparents house, or should I say their hotel residence!”

“Oh so you found out about them did you?” He asked shyly catching Tess’s venom in her voice from her reply.

“Yes I did and I discovered who my father is too!”

“That must have been a hell of an evening!” said Dean trying to lighten the mood; the both fell into step walking towards Central Park.

Tess laid out on the grass and Dean looked down at her and then sat down too, they’d walked in silence twice around the dog area of the park and now they laid on the field as Daisy gaily whooped around them in circles.

“I suppose it would be wrong of me to own up as to why I dinner dashed you the other day when you’re probably going through some emotional troubles?” asked Dean looking up at the city lights sky scraping the city.

“You seriously couldn’t say anything else that could hurt me right now.”

“I gather you already know you come from a bloodline of extensive business owners and that you’re an Heiress to an empire of over 70billion dollars. But what I think you don’t know is that Clara Maine my ex girlfriend is your cousin and she thinks we’re together and she doesn’t know you’re cousins!” He leaned over to look down at Tess.

Tess wide eyed at the sky looked up at Dean staring down at her, “My cousin...?” she asked her head buzzing full board her eyes softly closed.

“Tess wake up!” exclaimed Dean nervously shaking and tapping Tess’s face, her eyes opened to find Dean in a nervous state. “I’ve never had a girl faint on me before but I don’t want it to happen anytime soon either!’

“Woo, rewind and freeze! Your ex girlfriend is my cousin, and now while I know this she’s thinking I’m just some girl from Brooklyn?” Tess replied sitting up slowly.

“Well I’d call that a relatively smart summary of the situation, considering I didn’t word it that great!”

“She’s going to make my life hell at Alexandra Elliot if someone doesn’t tell her the truth!” Tess’s eyes looked widened and freaked.

This was defiantly Dean’s moment to be the Dashing Duke he could be to this mere Damsel in Distress.

“She’s not going to give you hell if I’m around and telling the truth means twice the vengeance, Clara isn’t all sweet Cupcakes with Cherries on top she really is the Devil’s daughter wearing Channel No. 5!” Dean said taking hold of Tess’s hands. “Come on we’ll drop Daisy home and I’ll have my family car drive us back to Brooklyn so you can go home.”

“You know I can take the subway it’s really not that hard!” said Tess humbly.

“I know that but it’s too late if you ask me to be riding a train when you’re Royalty after all!”

And so like that Dean was playing the Duke I always knew he could be by rescuing the Damsel in Distress.

If only the Damsel knew she’d just made a match with the most loyal Duke in all of Manhattan.

For Dear Darling D was going to be the protector of little innocent Brooklyn Girl, who I knew all too well was going to have dramatic damsel moments all the much more anytime soon.