Chapter 34: Feel Me Up, Spikey

I kinda feel like already finishing this book today, but I don't know... here's another update, anyway!

-------------------------

It was Friday night, and thankfully, the day was just about over and all of the customers were gone. Vic and Kyle had come over to have dinner at the diner, which I never thought was a good idea, but oh well, they insisted.

Not my fault if they get sick like I did. . .

Just as I threw on my coat, Jaime came storming out of the kitchen. "Someone has been stealing from the diner." He said, his eyes wide.

I shot him a skeptic look. "Well the diner has been stealing from me, too." I simply said. "Joy. . . youth. . . the will to live."

Kellin snorted beside me.

"Well, either way, no one is leaving until I do a pat down." Jaime firmly said.

"Really, Himes?" Kellin murmured, less than impressed. "Is that really how you want to get to second base for the first time?" He asked with a mocking smirk playing on his lips. "Besides, don't we have a fancy surveillance system to check that shit out now?"

"Okay, so the system wasn't ideal. . ." Jaime admitted, sighing in disappointment. "Max, you're first."

I rolled my eyes and spread my arms as I stepped up in front of him. "Alright, feel me up, spikey." I blankly told him.

He patted me down ever so carefully, very clearly avoiding touching my ass or my front. He looked severely uncomfortable whenever he even came close to those parts. I swear, sometimes I had the idea that the guy was still a virgin.

"Alright, Kellin you're next." He then said, signaling for Kellin to come over while I stepped back.

He groaned dramatically and made his way to Jaime. "And I thought that this uniform would be the worst thing to touch my body today." He murmured as he stood there and let Jaime pat him down as well.

"Vic. . ." Jaime then called out, confusing me a little.

"Okay, now I know you better not be accusing a Mexican of stealing in our current political climate, buddy." Vic then said, pointing a warning finger at Jaime. "You're not a Trump supporter, are you?"

"Amigo, please, I am a Mexican." Jaime murmured with an exasperated sigh.

"Dude, none of us have been stealing from the diner, okay?" I said to him. "You've probably just been misplacing things. . . have you checked your hair?"

Vic and Kellin both laughed, resulting in Jaime rolling his eyes at the lot of us. "Okay fine, go home. Bye." He groaned before walking back into the kitchen.

I just laughed and shook my head. Jaime really was so easy to annoy, and I just loved it. I lived for it. It was the only good thing about working at that shitty diner. . . that and Kellin, since he was exactly the same.

We made our way out, Kyle walking between Vic and I while we both each held onto one of his hands. He liked to walk like that with us, and I had to admit that I enjoyed it too. It made me feel like we were a family. Which was strange, since I had never really experienced the whole family thing before.

"Maxine?" I then heard a voice call.

I frowned and looked up. No one calls me Maxine. . . not even my stupid mother. "Yes?" I murmured questioningly, watching as a man approached me.

It was the same guy as the 'new' customer who sits at table six every time he comes into the diner. "Hey, I was wondering if we could have a coffee together sometime." He said.

I arched an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

He nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah uh- I'd like to get to know you a little better." He said.

I snorted with sarcastic amusement. "Look, dude, I'm flattered, but I'm married and I don't date. And just because I work for a man who pays me less than what the slaves got back in the day, doesn't mean that I have sex for money with old dudes on the side."

Vic muffled a soft snicker beside me.

"I um- sorry. . . that's not what I meant." The man then murmured. "I'm happy, though, to see that you're doing well and that you have a family. You have a son and a father who's around. . . that's good."

What the hell was this guy getting at?

"Right, well, anyways. . . if you don't mind, my family and I were gonna go see a movie tonight." I then spoke a little sternly. "So I'm going to do the one thing my father ever taught me, and that's leave."

The man seemed to deflate a little at my words, but I didn't really care. This was just weird. What the hell did he want from me anyway?

"Well that wasn't creepy at all." Vic said when we were a little further down the street.

I snorted a little. Yep, that was definitely creepy. "So which movie do you want to see?" I decided to ask Kyle, changing the subject entirely.

He grinned up at me. "The new Alvin and the Chipmunks!" He yelled excitedly.

"Oh god." I groaned, causing Vic to laugh at me.

"Alvin and the Chipmunks it is." He said. Kyle giggled happily, letting go of our hands as he ran into the building. "You ready for this?" Vic then asked me, smirking lightly.

I had never been to a cinema before, believe it or not. . . the closest I had ever gotten was when my mom met with her dealer at the back door of one. . . so this was going to be interesting. "What do I need to be ready for?" I wondered, giving him a bit of a worried look.

Vic chuckled and kissed my cheek. "Nothing, babe. Want some popcorn? Or do you prefer a tub of ice cream?"

I shot him a deadpanned look. How was that even a question?

"Ice cream, of course!"

"Of course."