Chapter 32: You Married Me To Get a Green Card

"Here, I made you some chicken soup." Vic said, sounding quite satisfied with himself as he walked into the bedroom with a steaming bowl of soup in his hands.

I rolled my eyes a little. "How sweet you're being to me is going to make this sickness worse, you know?" I teased. "I might start throwing up due to your caring antics."

This was Vic's moment to roll his eyes. He sat down on the edge of the bed as I propped myself up. "Well, isn't it the whole deal of being married that we're supposed to be sweet to each other. . . wifey?"

I snorted, taking the bowl of soup from his hands. "Fuentes being my last name now is one thing, but calling me 'wifey' makes me feel old as fuck. . . like, almost as old as you."

Vic shot me a playful glare. "I don't think that you seem to understand the whole idea of being married, Max." He murmured, fighting to try and hide the smile on his face.

I drank a bit of the soup and stuck my tongue out in his direction. "Well you are the one who wanted to get married. . . so you hold up the end of the bargain."

"Marriage is a bargain now?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Well yes- what else is marriage?" I retorted. "I mean, getting married is basically just saying to each other hey you're mine and with this piece of paper I'm going to make it even harder for you to leave me."

Vic chuckled and leaned in to kiss my forehead. "It's good that you knew that before you got into this. . . now it'll be easier to knock you out and smuggle you to Mexico when my visa expires." He whispered with a mean smirk.

I shoved him away from me and laughed. "See, I knew it! I knew that was your plan from the beginning! You totally married me to get a fucking green card."

Most people didn't understand our relationship, and they didn't need to. Vic and I were a little. . . different. We made fun of each other, we were mean to each other, but in the end we were still totally crazy about each other. I loved him and he loved me. . . we just had our own strange way of showing it.

I ate my chicken soup while Vic literally just sat there and watched me to make sure that I actually downed all of it. I wasn't even really that sick, but oh well. It was sweet.

Just as I finished the soup, my phone started ringing. "If that's Kellin telling me that he's pissing his panties because the diner is packed, I'm going to work." I warned Vic before grabbing my phone off the nightstand with my free hand.

Vic snorted and took the empty soup bowl from me. "The diner, packed? That would be a miracle." He murmured, rolling his eyes a little.

I chuckled. Alright, he had a point.

I answered the call and greeted whoever it was as friendly sounding as I could. Not many people even had this number. . . it had only been a few weeks since I had a phone at all, for that matter.

"Good afternoon, miss." The woman on the other end of the line said. "My name is nurse Judy, from the Saint Mary Hospital, and I'm calling because of your son, Kyle Merton. He was in a car accident with his father, Johnnie Merton."

I could practically feel my eyes bugging out of their sockets from shock. "Excuse me?" Was all that left my mouth.

"You should probably come down here, miss."

My heartbeat was increasing significantly. "Of course, I'll be right there." They were in a car crash?! How the fuck did that happen?!

I hung up the phone and stared at Vic momentarily. He looked pretty worried, probably because of the shocked look on my own face. "What's wrong?" He asked calmly.