Chapter 8: I Love You Kiddo

For several nights I had stayed with Tay. Well, actually. . . the first night I opted for sleeping in one of the booths at the diner, but Kellin caught me before he closed the place down.

Of course Tay once again said that I could just stay in one of the six fancy-ass rooms in her house, like permanently, but just as she had already expected; I declined.

I admitted to myself and to Tay that I did in fact have feelings for Vic and that it wasn't just a vague sexual attraction because I 'hadn't had any' in a while as Kellin had put it. Sure- that was present too, but the emotional attraction I had towards Vic was much bigger.

I had to get over that though, considering that he was fucking engaged for crying out loud. Plus, I kind of had more important things on my mind right now than him anyway.

"Mommy, mommy, mommy!" Kyle yelled as he came running towards me, away from the school's playground.

Yes- there you have it- I'm one of those teen moms. Except that I'm 24 now and Kyle is almost 6.

I dropped to my knees and wrapped my arms around him as he launched himself onto me, almost making me topple over. I laughed at his excitement and all my worries washed away as I held my almost six-year-old son in my arms.

"I missed you, mommy." His sweet voice told me, making my heart clench. I swear, every time I saw this kid I had to try so hard not to cry.

So yeah, I wasn't entirely made of stone, whatever.

"I missed you too, baby."

He pulled away from the hug and grinned happily at me. "Are you picking me up after school?" He then asked me with hope in his voice.

I nodded and smiled. "Yes, I am. Mommy does have to work a few hours, though, but I'll let Kellin make you your favorite- French fries, apple sauce and a big bowl of ice cream as desert, right?"

Kyle nodded eagerly, obviously not minding one bit.

"Alright, now get to class. I'll see you later."

Kyle then threw his arms around me for another hug. If it was one person's hugs that I would never get enough of, it was his. The way things had gone with his father were unfortunate, to say it kindly, so I hardly got to see him. But when I did, it was always extra special.

"I love you, kiddo." I then said to him planting a kiss on the side of his head, almost unwilling to let him go.

"I love you too, mommy."

I watched him run off through the swing set on the playground as he made his way to the doors of his school. I smiled brightly at the sight, even though from the corner of my eye I could see my ex sitting in his car, glaring at me.

I got back up and wiped the dirt off my knees as I then heard a familiar voice behind me. "Who was that?" He asked. Oh lord.

I turned around and faced Vic, staring blankly at him as he looked passed me with curious eyes. This was the one thing he did not need to know about. Especially not after what happened.

"No one." I simply lied.

A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, and I cursed myself for hating the effect it had on me. Why, of all people, did I have to meet him out here? "So you're just here watching kids like a total creep, then?" He asked jokingly.

I sighed, stuffing my hands in my pockets. "I don't have time for your jokes."

He gave me a confused look, but was he really that oblivious to what happened a few days ago? Had he already forgotten about it or something? I mean- I had been ignoring his calls too, simply because I didn't want to talk to him yet. Plus, he probably had a lot of making up to do with his fiancée anyway, and I wasn't going to disturb more of their relationship than I unintentionally already had.