Chapter 10: He Knows What Fine Means

"You broke up with her?" I asked, trying my hardest to cover up the fact that I was actually shocked. "Are you sure she wasn't the one who did the breaking up?"

Vic frowned and smiled a little. "See, I understand why you'd think that-"

"Really, you do?" I then interrupted him, faking my confusion. "Because honestly, I have no idea why she would. I mean- I totally would not break up with my fiancée if I caught him in bed with some low class girl whose at least ten years younger than me. Although, in my case, I would report him to the police for pedophilia because that would make said girl 14, and that my friend is just not acceptable."

"Well for one. . ." Vic then started, grinning slightly at my rant. "She's nine years older than you, and second, you're not low class she's just high maintenance. Are you done, though?"

"I am certainly not done." I huffed as I crossed my arms over my chest. But honestly I had no idea what to say.

Vic broke up with her, so what? Did he think that would make everything fine again? Why did he even cheat on her in the first place? I mean I only saw the woman for a brief moment and she was drop dead gorgeous, no doubt a model. . . and then there was me. It just didn't make sense.

"Look, I don't want you to get the wrong idea, alright? But I'd been wanting to break it off with her for a while now." Vic then admitted, sighing softly. "It's just that she unexpectedly went off to Europe for some big fashion thing or whatever and I didn't get the chance to."

"That doesn't make you any less of a cheater, though." I stated matter-of-factly.

And for a moment, it stayed silent. I knew Vic was contemplating what I'd just said. But he had to admit, I was in fact right.

"Do you hate me?" He then asked, already wary of the answer.

"No, we're fine." I simply groaned in response.

"Oh I know what fine means."

I gave Vic a confused look as he raised his hand, sticking out his fingers one by one.

"On a woman's scale of how-are-things, at the top there's great- then there's okay- then there's not okay- then there's I fucking hate you- and at the bottom is fine." I chuckled involuntarily at his statement, though he was kinda right.

"So what do I need to do to get back up to 'okay' again?" He then asked.

I shrugged, not really having an answer to that one. It had been my plan to get my stuff, leave, and probably never talk to him again unless I accidentally ran into him out on the street or something. And that was only because of the whole fiancée thing.

I was then a bit caught off guard by the pleading look that he gave me. "I know that I probably broke your trust, but I do feel that there's something going on between us." He said.

"Oh there's definitely something going on between us. It's called an argument, Vic." I sarcastically pointed out, ready to continue my rant from way before.

But instead of letting me speak, Vic apparently had other plans. Without a single hint or signal of warning, he cupped my face into his hands and pressed his lips hard against mine.

I was shocked at first, but soon then discovered that my first instincts were not on my side as I found myself kissing him back. And I wasn't exactly being subtle about it either.

The way Vic's lips moved on mine ignited some sort of fire in me, and I cursed myself for letting him have such an effect on me at all. My hands involuntarily moved up to his chest, feeling his muscles flex under my palms as things obviously started heating up.

That was when he stopped and pulled away, resting his forehead against mine as we both panted lightly. "See? I told you there was something between us. You can't deny it, Max." He then said softly, his lips brushing mine as he spoke.

I bit my lip, my mind running a mile a minute. Earlier I was so set to leave this place, but now. . .

"I want you to stay." Vic told me. "I want you to keep the room- I know how much you need it. I'll keep my distance if that's what you want, but. . . I just wanted you to know how I feel about you."

I couldn't help but to smile a little, although it was a bit of a cheeky one. "I think you just made that pretty clear." I pointed out, immediately earning a small laugh from Vic followed by a wide smile.

"Does that mean you'll stay?" He then asked me, snaking his arms around my waist.

I cocked an eyebrow and waited until his hands found their way to my lower back. "Yeah alright, I'll stay." I said as I then wrapped my arms around his neck.

I didn't understand how, but I felt so comfortable around him. Even after everything that had happened, a part of me was already thinking hell girl who cares, the fiancée is out of the picture now. But I also had to stay realistic. I had a son, and if we were seriously going to take this serious, then I was going to have to tell him about that at some point in time.

Just not right now.

"So how did she take the break up anyway?" I decided to ask, my curious and teasing nature taking over as I smirked at him.

"Well, she took it the same way she did when she found out that her favorite fur coat had a flee problem. . . she was upset for like a minute but then by the end of the day she already found a replacement." He told me in a totally casual tone.

"Ouch, that must sting a little." I commented with a small laugh.

Vic simply shrugged and laughed with me. "Oh it's. . . well, whatever."