Chapter 25: Using Gadgets is Hip

"Thanks for staying late so I can tell you all about how we're going to be upgrading our order system." Jaime said, standing in front of us with a huge smile on his face, holding a small stack of iPads in his hands.

"Himes, we had no choice, you locked the door." Kellin pointed out monotonously as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Well, at least you'll listen to me then." He countered, handing both Kellin and me an iPad. How the hell did he afford these anyway? "From now on, you will be taking the customer's orders using one of these. It's a reliable system and something that needed to be upgraded."

I shot Jaime a deadpanned look. "We're still wearing uniforms from the 1970's and our paycheck is from the 1800's. . . why in the world would we upgrade this?" I stated, waving the iPad in the air. "We are perfectly capable of writing everything down."

Jaime groaned, rolling his eyes. "Come on, this is high tech stuff! Using gadgets around the work place is hip!" Oh dear god, did he really just use the word hip? "Now let's test this out with a little roleplaying. . . Kellin, if you will?"

"Alright, you'll be the little bitch, and I'll just be me." Kellin then said, smirking in Jaime's direction. I had to fight back some laughter as Jaime rubbed his face in annoyance.

"Max, please?" He pleaded, almost desperately.

I sighed and held the iPad before me. "Hi my name is Max, I am your waitress for today. What can I get you?" I murmured like a bored robot.

"Hello, miss!" Jaime beamed excitedly. "I would like to order a burger!"

I rolled my eyes and looked down at the iPad, noticing the lists of options that was our usual menu. I tapped on the burger and looked back at Jaime, putting on my signature fake smile. "Would you like that with or without salmonella?" I then asked.

Kellin snickered beside me, but Jaime wasn't the least bit amused. "Look, we're going to be using these whether you both like it or not, so just deal with it. Now Kellin, will you- Kellin, what are you doing?"

I looked beside me, arching an eyebrow as I watched Kellin tapping furiously on the screen of the iPad. "Just playing Candy Crush." He murmured with a small grin. "Don't mind me, just continue."

I shook my head in amusement. Jaime should've known that something like this would happen. Shit happened every time he tried to 'upgrade' the diner. First the coffee machine, then the burger shaped dumpster, and now this. It was ridiculous honestly.

"Oh my god!" Kellin then suddenly squealed.

I shot him a curious look. "What? Did you win the game?"

He snorted sarcastically. "As if." He mumbled. "No, I entered this stupid contest a while ago, and oh my god, I won a trip to Las Vegas for four people!" He then explained, squealing all over again by the time he finished.

"Well, that sounds like a nice gift to give your hard working boss." Jaime then pointed out.

Kellin gave Jaime a look that pretty much said 'dude are you fucking kidding me here' and then turned to me with a huge smirk on his face. "Do you know what this means?" He then asked me.

I frowned and slowly shook my head.

"It means that you, Vic and Oli are so coming with me to Vegas, bitch!"

"Wait, no!" Jaime then protested. "You can't just leave to Vegas, you've got work!"

"Well, we haven't taken any vacation days in years. . . literally." I murmured, to which Kellin grinned victoriously in response. "What better time than to take some for this weekend?"

"But it's Friday." Jaime pointed out with fear in his voice.

"Well I guess we'll start right now then."

Kellin squealed and jumped around, clapping his hands excitedly. "I'm gonna go home and call Oli right away." He then said before running to the door of the diner and literally running into it.

I snorted softly as I watched him rub his forehead. "Oww." He groaned. "Damnit, Jaime, unlock the door, will ya?"

- - -

When I arrived back home, I was surprised to still see Vic sitting behind his laptop, working codes and whatnot. He usually didn't push himself into working evening hours, but he had been doing more of that lately, I noticed. He sometimes worked more than I did.

I announced that I was back, but he was so caught up in the work before him, that he didn't even respond. I figured he simply didn't hear me. So I just let him be for a moment and took a shower, dressing into something more comfortable.

I had learned by now that Vic enjoyed starting his weekend with a big glass of red wine, so I poured him one and quietly went over to him. He was still typing away furiously on his laptop.

"Hey." I simply said to him, attempting to let him know about my presence, but he still didn't respond.

I rolled my eyes and leaned over his shoulder, using my free hand to snap his laptop shut. I already knew that his work was saved automatically every minute, so I knew that I wouldn't be messing anything up by doing it.

"Oh, you're back." Vic then finally noticed.

I chuckled a little. "I've been back for like an hour."

He frowned a little, probably questioning himself how he hadn't realized that before, and then grabbed me by the waist, pulling me onto his lap in one swift movement. "I'm sorry. Guess I was a little caught up in my work." He said.

I shrugged a little and smiled, handing him the glass of wine. "It's fine, really." I told him honestly. "You do work a lot, though."

Vic took a sip of his wine and looked at me skeptically. "Says the one who works sixty hours a week on average." I rolled my eyes at that. "But you're right, I have been doing a lot. It's normal, though, I guess, when you've had a business for this many years, it just keeps growing."

This was my turn to be the skeptic one. "I think that whole business theory is a bit flawed. Because I've worked at the diner for like four years, and the only thing I've seen growing in there are tents in Kellin's pants."

Vic laughed out loud and shook his head. "Well perhaps I should help Jaime out, then." He suggested. "Maybe I can build the diner a website, make it more reachable to customers."

I rolled my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck as I straddled him. "I have a much better plan about what you should do." I then told him, a tiny hint of seduction in my voice.

Vic grinned almost instantly. He placed the glass of wine behind me on the desk and put his hands on my hips, gripping onto them tightly. I knew what that meant to him, but that actually wasn't what I was implying at all. Though, of course, I didn't mind that either.

"What is it that I should do then?" He asked, his voice going all husky.

I giggled softly and smiled. "Kellin won a fancy-ass trip to Las Vegas for four people, all inclusive, and he wants us to join him. So I think that's what we both should do."

"Yeah, but work—" Vic then whined, but I quickly cut him off by pressing my lips to his. He kissed me back for a moment, until he pulled back.

"There's a lot that I—" He began to protest again, but I wouldn't have it. He needed the break just as much as I did, so I just grinded myself against him to throw him off guard. "Oh god." He moaned lowly. "Fine, we'll go."

I grinned as I then pulled back and looked at him. "We're leaving tomorrow morning, just so you know." I then informed him.

Vic chuckled and nodded in understanding. "Alright, we'll go pack then. But first, you need to finish what you started." He said as a grin spread across his lips again. He then wrapped one arm further around my waist and hoisted me up on his shoulder as he got up and made his way to the bedroom.

"Let go of me!" I squealed as I laughed, smacking his ass on our way there.

He laughed but completely ignored my request. "You're not going anywhere now."