Chapter 16: Stop Being So Awkward

more fluff, less sass... just for now though ;)

--------------------

"Come here." Vic requested softly, just as I had gotten myself comfortable in his bed.

I turned my head towards him and shot him a questioning look. "Come where? I'm right here." I simply pointed out.

He let out a soft sigh, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes as he looked at me. "You know what I'm talking about, Max." He then said. "Stop being so awkward and come closer."

He was right, though. I had positioned myself at the far end of Vic's bed. I don't know why but I felt a sudden wave of discomfort wash over me after what happened with Kyle suddenly being around.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid more than anything in the world, but it made me think that being with Vic was perhaps not such a great idea. I mean who really wants to be with a young mother anyway? He could do so much better.

Either way though, at this moment in time I couldn't resist the puppy dog eyes he was giving me, so I finally scooted closer to him. He responded by wrapping both of his arms around me and pulling me against him.

I was a bit caught off guard by his closeness, but at the same time I enjoyed the comfort. "Why is it that you have no issue kissing me- or having sex with me for that matter- but you get awkward once I show you any other type of affection?" Vic then suddenly asked, catching me off guard yet again.

"Because you're so good at sex and kissing?" It came out more like a question, but that was mostly because I was avoiding the real answer.

Vic chuckled lightly in response. "I will take that as a compliment." He said. "But be honest with me. . . do you not like it? Doesn't it make you happy?"

"I don't even know how to be happy." I murmured a little bitterly.

"Then what is that big smile for?"

One of his fingers lightly grazed the corner of my mouth before he started caressing my cheek. It was only then that I noticed how I was in fact smiling like a total dork. "Force of habit. . . I've been pretending to be happy at the diner for way too long." I lied jokingly as I looked down.

Vic just laughed, planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Alright fine, that's not why I'm smiling." Damnit, why did this guy make me want to talk to him about my problems? I mean- he didn't really make me, but in some way he totally did. "I just really, really like you. . . I don't want to lose whatever it is we have and- and it worries me because I'm young and broke and I have a son for crying out loud."

I glanced up for only a second and saw how a stupid grin spread out on Vic's face, making me realize what I'd just said to him. "Ah, so you finally decided to admit to my face that you like me?"

"Nope, I totally said that to your chest. I like your chest. And, y'know, your ass is pretty great too. Who would want to pass that up, eh?" I then started rambling, my cheeks heating up in the process as I felt myself become a little nervous.

This was seriously ridiculous, though. The last time I was actually nervous I was being arrested for something I didn't even do. This shouldn't be such a big deal, but it was.

"Well, I really like you too." Vic then told me as he pulled me even closer. "You're beautiful, funny, kind, free spirited. . . who even cares that you're eight years younger than me? And I've already told you before, but I'll say it again, the fact that you have a son does not bother me." He explained honestly.

I looked up at him and smiled gratefully as I watched his face contort into a thoughtful frown. "I may, however, be a little jealous that I'm not the kid's real father. But I totally did not just tell you that."

I giggled softly. "Well that depends. . ." I then started in a playful tone. "Did you crash any sketchy looking high school parties during the summer of 2008 and hook up with a drunk girl in skin-tight jeans, a fishnet top, a nose ring and bright pink hair? Because if you did, then there might be a chance he's yours."

Vic gave me a concerned look, like he actually believed that I was being serious. And I kinda was, except for the whole hooking up thing. I never cheated on Johnnie- though I could not say the same for him.

I couldn't help but to laugh at the mere look on Vic's face, and luckily he just ended up laughing with me. "Fishnet tops, huh?" He asked, grinning lightly.

"Hell yeah, that was my signature look back in high school. My best friend and I totally rocked that. I was in all black with pink hair and she was in all white with green hair. It was awesome, dude."

He rolled his eyes in amusement, obviously trying to picture me like that before him. No way in hell I'd ever dress like that now, though. That time was so over.

"Why did you drop out?" Vic then asked.

I sighed a little. "Because it sucked and I wasn't smart enough anyway. But it doesn't matter, I've already made peace with the fact that I'll never get anywhere in life."

He laughed at that, but I was actually being dead serious this time.

"How about I take you and Kyle to the park tomorrow and treat you guys to some ice cream? The vendor there is the best one in town." He then suggested.

"Oh I know; that guy has been there every single day for like the past fifty years! You probably remember the day he first started."

Vic gasped and playfully punched me in the shoulder. "I'm not that old." He murmured, glaring at me a little.

I just giggled and stuck my tongue out at him. He made me feel so at ease somehow, like there wasn't a care in the world. Well. . . that was until he suddenly started tickling me.

"Stop it, please!" I yelled through my fits of uncontrollable laughter.

"Be quiet, Max. Kyle is sleeping upstairs." Vic then whisper-yelled at me with amusement in his voice as he continued to tickle my sides relentlessly.

"Well then stop tickling me, you jerk!"

He laughed quietly and finally stopped, securing his arms back around me before then planting his lips firmly onto mine. I didn't even get the chance to catch my breath, but I soon forgot about that anyway when he deepened the kiss.

My stomach was doing backflips and it sent a crazy string of tingles all over my body. Usually I'd just get turned on when he kissed me, but this was different.

It ended all too soon though, but I didn't really mind because lying in his arms was just as nice. "I really like this." I then admitted as I snuggled up closely.

I could feel Vic smile against the side of my head. "Well then you should come do this more often."

And maybe I would.