Chapter 21: This is So Painful To Watch

"Mommy, I made you a drawing." Kyle said, waving a piece of paper in the air.

It was Friday morning, the day that I was going to fail my bible studies exam. Okay, so maybe I'll pass it. . . but probably not, though. Kyle's teacher had called in sick so Johnnie dropped him off at the diner without a word. It was a little odd, but neither Kellin nor Jaime really minded watching him while Vic would drive me to my old high school later.

I smiled, bringing the customers their orders and then making my way to the booth Kyle was sitting at with Vic. He giggled, practically shoving the piece of paper into my hands. "It's you mommy, holding your diploma." He said as he pointed at the stick figure in the middle of the paper.

"Thanks baby, I'm gonna keep it with me for good luck when I do the exam, okay?" I told him, kissing the top of his head in appreciation as he nodded eagerly.

"See, even Kyle has faith in you." Vic then said, messing up his hair a little, causing Kyle to just laugh as he tried slapping Vic's hands away. I was so glad the two of them got along so well.

"Yes well, he's my son, he's supposed to have faith in me." I simply pointed out.

"When you pass- and I'm saying when not if- we are so throwing you a graduation party." Kellin then said.

I immediately rolled my eyes. Him and his stupid parties. "Why the hell would I need a graduation party? I'm twenty-five for crying out loud, that's bad enough as it is."

Kellin pouted and crossed his arms over his chest. "Because I never got to have one." He said. "I had to choose between having my graduation party or having a coming out party and I chose the latter. So now, you are having a graduation party."

"You had a coming out party?" Vic asked, a bit of a sarcastic tone to his voice.

"Hell yes I did, and it was the best party ever, just so you know." Kellin snapped sassily at Vic, which only resulted in him laughing at Kellin.

I shook my head a little and sighed. "Kells, why in the hell did you need a coming out party? When you were born you came out 'out'. You're so gay, your umbilical cord was probably made by Gucci."

Kellin threw me a harsh glare, but I could see that he was trying to hide a smile underneath. "Well either way, we're throwing you a graduation party, and you're going to love it."

"If I graduate." I reminded him.

"When you graduate." He then simply corrected me, waving his finger in my face.

- - -

"Are you ready for this?" Vic asked as we both entered the old high school building.

"Of course not." I snapped in a whisper, watching all of the students pass by me in the hallway on their way out. God I felt old just walking here. Which made me wonder how Vic felt, since this was his old high school too.

His older high school. Haha.

Okay, so I was trying to humor myself with jokes to make myself less nervous. Not working though, Max, because you're not actually funny.

We walked down the hallway and eventually we arrived at the classroom I always hated. "Ah, Max Dawson, what a surprise to see you." Father Urie, my old teacher, greeted me in a cheerful tone as I walked inside, with Vic closely behind me.

"A surprise? Why Mister U, didn't think I'd show up?" I asked sarcastically, since originally, all those years ago, I hadn't actually shown up.

"No, I'm just surprised to see you're still alive." He then said, which actually made me laugh. He then turned to Vic and started smiling. "Victor Fuentes." He said with a smirk on his face. "What in the world brings you back here? As far as I remember, you passed bible studies without a single mistake."