Chapter 22: I Love You Too But Whatever

A few weeks went by since the night that both Vic and I had blurted out those three insane words. I mean okay- they weren't insane. I knew, especially the more I thought about it, that it was indeed how I felt. I just wasn't used to feeling that way and I admitted that I had issues showing it and saying it too. To Vic, however, it was like second nature.

Apart from that, everything had been going fine. Until one day we had a really stupid argument out of nowhere.

"I'm not some fucking child, okay!" I stated loudly. "I know I may seem like some girl who has no idea how the world works, but I can take care of myself. You may be eight years older than me but damnit, I'm an adult and I can't just rely on you to support me like I'm a fucking baby. I'm not going to cut my hours, Vic."

I was practically shouting at him by now. It might've seemed unfair, but I just had to get my point across. He should be happy that I stopped paying him the rent that he wanted before we started 'dating', but I'm not going to stop paying all the other things and let him do everything.

"Why can't you accept that I want to support you?!" He said, raising the strength of his voice to mine.

"Why do you even want to so badly? Fuck, Vic, I have a son to take care of- to pay bills for. I thought I told you before that he's not your responsibility. Neither am I."

Vic sighed deeply, an annoyed groan leaving his throat as he ran his fingers through his hair. He was about to say something when the doorbell rang. "Hold that thought." He murmured, pointing a finger in my direction.

I just rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest as he went to the door to answer it. "Package for M Dawson." I vaguely heard someone say.

I didn't really care, though, so I didn't react when Vic closed the door again and turned towards me with the package in hand. "I want to support you because I love you, Max." He then said, sounding a little tired of the whole thing. "You're my girlfriend and I should be able to just support you without you getting all pissed off at me."

"Yeah, well, I love you too but whatever. That doesn't mean I should turn into some sappy housewife and let you do everything."

I was about to say more on the matter, until I noticed the look on Vic's face. He was looking pretty annoyed earlier, but now he was suddenly smiling. . . grinning even.

"The fuck are you so happy about all of a sudden?" I snapped at him.

He shook his head, that same grin still plastered on his face as he put the package on the table that stood beside me and walked up to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. His mood had changed in a split second, and I had no idea what it was.

"You said it again. . . you said you love me." He breathed with a small smile. "You haven't actually said it since your graduation party."

I sighed deeply; feeling a little disappointed in myself as I moved my arms up and rested them on his shoulders. "I'm sorry. I told you I'm not good at this whole thing." I whispered.

He shrugged a little and leaned in to peck me on the nose. "It's alright, I'm sorry too."

I looked up right into his eyes, lacing my fingers together behind his neck. "I really do love you, though." I told him honestly. And I was kind of glad we were talking to each other normally again. I didn't want to fight with Vic. "Anyway, who's the package from?" I then asked.

Vic turned his head to the table and squinted his eyes. "It says it's from your mother." He replied.

Wait, what? My Mother?

I immediately let go of Vic, wanting to get away from the package as far as possible. Almost like it was a bomb about to explode. "Throw it away, I don't want it." I murmured as I walked into the kitchen to grab myself something to drink.

I heard Vic picking it up from the table and then following me. "Oh come on." He urged as he shook it around a little.

"Nope." I firmly stated as I grabbed a glass from the cupboard. "The last thing my mom ever delivered was me, and I'm still trying to clean that mess up."

Vic chuckled a little and rolled his eyes. "Babe, don't you wanna know what she sent you?" He then asked.

"Unless it's a brand new childhood, I am not interested." I murmured sourly as I turned on the tap and let some cold water fill up the glass.

"Maybe she's trying to make amends. I mean, it'd make sense since she didn't show up for your graduation party."

"Make amends?" I repeated incredulously. "The woman never even made me sandwich!" I turned off the tap again and then turned towards Vic, frowning a little. "Hold on, what do you mean she didn't show up for my graduation party?" I questioned him.

"I uh, kinda invited her. I thought maybe she'd like to see how well her daughter was doing." Vic admitted in a soft voice.

I snorted sarcastically before taking a sip of my water. "Well, now you know how much she cares."

Vic nodded knowingly and put the package on the countertop beside me. "Yeah, well, I do care so I left her a pretty pissed off voicemail message a few days after the party."

I laughed a little at that. It wasn't like that would even affect my mother anyway, but it was still pretty sweet of him and also kinda funny.

"Are we good, though? I really don't want to fight." He then said, placing his hands gently on the sides of my hips. I just nodded and smiled. We were fine, I wasn't actually mad at him. I couldn't be for very long if I wanted to anyways.

"Okay, good, because I needed to ask you something." Vic then began, with a small grin on his face. "My cousin Nick is getting married, the whole family is invited obviously, and so I wanted to ask if you'd come with me as my date."

I laughed a little and nodded. "Hell yeah- crash a wedding. I can totally scratch that off my bucket list now." I told him with excitement. "Or did it say get trashed at a wedding? I don't really remember."

Vic chuckled softly and planted a kiss on my lips. "Great, then you can meet my parents too." He whispered.

My eyes widened. Oh god. Did he just say meet his parents? Oh no.

"On second thought, weddings aren't that fun and I may have to work that day." I excused myself with a nervous chuckle.

Vic looked down at me with a less than impressed look. "Oh come on, I already know that you don't have to work that day, and meeting my parents isn't as bad as you think. I'm sure they'll love you. Just be yourself, say some nice things." He said with a shrug like it was not a big deal at all.

"So which one? I can't do both." I murmured as I frowned at him.

He rolled his eyes at me and laughed. "You'll be fine." He said before kissing me again.