Chapter 3: Under Oath at the Police Station

"Guess who's here!" I heard Tay beam in a sing-songy voice as the bell above the entrance of the diner started ringing. I may have been in the kitchen at the time, but trust me, everyone could hear her.

I smiled to myself and rolled my eyes, immediately dropping my notepad. "Looks like I'm taking my break." I announced before walking out, not even waiting for my boss to reply. He shouldn't be complaining, though, I hardly took breaks to begin with. It was only healthy that I did so every now and then.

Tay immediately engulfed me into a hug before we both sat down at a booth. Her broken white Gucci dress, pearl necklace, golden bracelets and Louboutin high heels looked so out of place in this cheap, crappy diner. But she wasn't as stuck up as she looked.

"Good to see you haven't been shipped off to Mexico. . . yet." She pointed out with a smirk.

"Off to Mexico? Why would you go to Mexico?" My colleague Kellin suddenly butted in as he approached our booth with his notepad and pen in hand.

I rolled my eyes. Oh lord, here we go. "Haven't you heard? She's living with some Mexican guy now!" Tay exclaimed, like it was the worst thing in the world or something. "She could've just stayed with me, but you know Max, she's as stubborn as the back-end of a donkey." 

Was that even how the saying went?

"Oh honey, a Mexican, really?" Kellin then asked, directed at me, while placing a hand on his hip and giving me a less-than-impressed look. "Is he hot though?" He added, a small smirk suddenly playing at the corner of his lips.

I snorted a little and rolled my eyes again. Man, I really did do that a lot. "Yes he's hot." I admitted shamelessly.

The bell of the door rung again and- Oh god, speak of the devil and he shall appear. "Guess what, he's here now. I'll be in the kitchen." I quickly spoke, putting my hands on the booth's table.

I was about to hoist myself up and dive back into the kitchen, when Kellin put a hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down into the seat. What the hell was that for?

"Looks like he's coming over here." He then said, smirking directly at Vic.

Great, just what I needed. As if me alone wasn't awkward enough. Nope, here he was, at my crappy job, making me look even more desperate. Didn't he have a job to go to? Why the heck was he even here?

"Hi there!" Kellin beamed, waving obnoxiously at Vic.

He waved back somewhat awkwardly and laughed. "Hey, Max." I groaned internally and buried myself back into the seat of the booth as Vic approached us, smiling brightly.

"Hi." I softly grumbled in return, almost inaudible.

"Can I getcha something?" Kellin then asked Vic.

Vic smiled in my direction and frowned as he looked back at Kellin. "Oh, I don't know, I don't want to be a bother."

Kellin let out a sarcastic moment of laughter. "Sweetheart, this is a local diner, everyone is a bother. Sit down, relax, Max is on her break anyway, aren't you, Max?"

If it was appropriate to slap him right now, I so would have.

"So again, what can I getcha?"

"Um, whatever you recommend." Vic expertly decided to say. Although, to be honest, I don't really recommend anything in this place. Neither did Kellin. Except for the breakfasts that we actually baked ourselves, unlike the fatty lunches and dinners the other cook made.

"A club sandwich and a coffee it is." Kellin announced before fluttering off with a grin on his face.

Vic had seated himself across from me in the booth, leaving him right beside Tay who was staring at him intently. Vic looked at her from the corner of his eyes and frowned questioningly, so I subtly kicked her underneath the table.