Chapter 33: Did You Just Say Dad?

I'm thinking like two more chapters and then this is done...

--------------------------

"Oh my god, what is that?!" Kellin screeched, trying to run from the object that flew around his head.

I snickered a little as I watched him swatting his hands around in the air. "Relax, it's the diner's new surveillance system, apparently." I told him.

Kellin finally gave up on trying to get the thing away from him and shot me a less than impressed look. "Really?" He wondered skeptically. "So to be clear, we're out of soap but we have a fucking drone?"

I pursed my lips and simply nodded. It was ridiculous that Jaime kept attempting to 'upgrade' the diner with such trivial gadgets, but oh well. I guess he just didn't have anything better to do.

I scanned my eyes around the diner. Today was the day that the food critic was going to visit, or so Jaime had said. Vic was in the kitchen since early this morning, and I didn't feel as sick anymore, so I came in as well.

"Who's that?" I questioned quietly, cocking my head to the man sitting in the booth at the far end of the diner. I had never seen him in here before. "Is he the food critic?"

Kellin shook his head. "No, just some guy." He said with a shrug. "He actually asked for you the first time he was here, but I told him you were sick."

I frowned, looking at Kellin. "Did you ask him why he wanted me?"

"Nope, didn't really care."

I snorted. Why did I even think he would?

I cleaned the table in front of me, trying my best to ignore the irritating buzzing noise of the drone circling above my head. I swear, if he keeps this up, I'm going to throw something at it.

"I can't believe Jaime is just sitting in the back, watching us while he plays with his little joystick." Kellin then complained, glaring evilly at the drone floating before him.

"Oh please, no one is getting any joy out of Jaime's stick. . . he spends too much time in here, and if he's not here, he's at his mom's place." I murmured mockingly.

Kellin laughed and turned away, bringing a coffee order to a customer. He planted it down on their table with a smile, and then turned back to head to the bar as the drone flew after him.

"Dude, it's following me!" He complained, swatting a menu around. "If I wanted to be constantly spied on, I'd change my fucking name to Achmed and rent an apartment near the airport."

"One order of fresh, caramel covered cinnamon rolls for table six." Vic then announced from the kitchen's window.

I instantly smiled as I made my way over to the window. I had to be honest, watching Vic cooking in his usual skinny jeans, a tank top and a white apron was an interesting sight. Especially the way his muscles flexed whenever he lifted the pans. Jesus and Mary. . .

"Thanks, babe." I said, grabbing the plate off the counter. He quickly leaned over and pecked my lips before stepping away again and winking.

We weren't exactly supposed to be 'affectionate' at the working place, but what was Jaime going to do about it, anyway? He needed Vic today.

I brought the plate over to table six. It was where the new guy was sitting. "Can I get you anything else?" I asked him politely.

He smiled up at me. "No, thanks." He said. "Is that your boyfriend?" He then asked right after.

I frowned a little, shaking my head. "He's my husband, actually." I wondered why he wanted to know that, exactly. . . he wasn't like, into me, right? This guy looked pretty old. Okay, Vic was older too, but this one looked like he was nearing his fifties.

Creepy.

He just smiled at me, not saying anything else. So I just shot him a curt nod and walked off back to the kitchen window, wanting a moment to have a drink for myself.

"I kinda like doing this." Vic said as soon as he saw me.

I snorted and watched him for a moment. "No." I simply said to him. "You're doing this just for today, you hear me?"

Vic laughed a little, moving some of the dirty plates, glasses and pans into the big metal sink behind him. "Oh come on, I can't do this on the side? I'll get to see you more." He bargained.

A loud, sarcastic laugh erupted from my throat. "No fucking way, Fuentes." I said to him. "Trust me, once you actually start working here, it sucks you in completely. It chains you down and slowly eats away at your soul until there's nothing left but a bitter shell. . . and then you turn into a homicidal maniac."

I heard laughter behind me.

I whipped my head around and noticed the man at table six laughing and shaking his head. I frowned curiously at him.

"Well fine. . . wouldn't want to turn out like you, now would I?" Vic then murmured playfully, making me look back at him. I shot him a glare and pushed him away from the window, resulting in him stumbling back and laughing at me.

"Mommy!" Kyle then yelled, running out of the kitchen door. "Look, I stole the remote from mister Jaime!" He said proudly as he came wobbling towards me.

I snickered a little and watched as he moved the stupid drone around the diner, giggling and enjoying his apparent new toy. All the while, I noticed that the new customer at table six kept looking our way as he drank his coffee and silently ate his cinnamon rolls.

"Give it back!" I then heard Jaime yell, quickly storming out of the kitchen.

Kyle squealed and laughed, running from Jaime as best he could while at the same time making the drone fly around his head.

"Damnit, it's not a toy!" Jaime groaned, frustration clear in his voice. "Max, some help please?" He whined.

I just laughed and shook my head, crossing my arms over my chest in amusement.

Kyle ran right across the diner and Jaime almost managed to grab him, but my son was just too smart and was able to dodge his short arms. He let out another excited squeal as he then headed to the kitchen door, where Vic just emerged.

"Dad, help me!" He yelled, completely catching both of us off guard with his words.

Vic chuckled and grabbed Kyle, letting him sit on one of his arms. "Did you just say dad?" He questioned my son. Kyle just nodded, giggling shyly as he dug his head into the crevice of Vic's neck.

There was just something insanely cute about the two of them. Johnnie was never very affectionate with Kyle. . . or more like, not at all. But Vic treated Kyle like he was his own, and apparently Kyle felt that way too.

He called him dad. . . wow.

"Why don't we just give this back, huh?" Vic then suggested, taking the remote off Kyle.

"But it's so fun to play with!" Kyle whined.

"Yeah. . . that's what they all think, until you're on the receiving end of the remote and can't do your job properly because out of nowhere the little shit decides to throw the intensity level a little higher." Kellin then stated firmly.

Vic shot Kellin a confused look, but sadly enough I knew exactly what he meant.

"Jesus Kell, shut up." I snickered. "Let my boy have his innocence for a few more years, okay?"