Chapter 11: Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee

"Thanks for letting me see him on his birthday." I said to Johnnie as I watched Kyle run over into the diner from the corner of my eye. Probably already going to ask Kellin for pancakes or ice cream. Or bug Tay about how stupid high heels were.

"Yeah, no problem." Johnnie said. "I mean, let's be honest, we probably wouldn't have celebrated it if he was with me and Jillian." Of course not, because you're not the great father that you pretended to be in front of the court, asshole.

"I do wonder what it would've been like if you were still with me." He then said in a sudden gentle tone. I gave him a questioning look as he smiled at me. "You know that I'm sorry for that I did the other day, right? I didn't mean to. You know that I care about you."

At that moment it took everything in me not to burst out into a fit of sarcastic laughter. Him, caring about me? That would be a first. The only thing he really, honestly cared about was getting money off me. I was pretty sure he didn't even really care about this Jillian girl.

I'd lost count of how many girls he'd been with since me. Not that I was actually keeping track, but he definitely surpassed my list.

"Well, I gotta go to work." Johnnie then announced, after I didn't reply.

Hah, picking up your welfare check is not considered work, Johnnie boy.

He unexpectedly leaned in and kissed my cheek before he gave me a last smile and got into his car. What the fuck was that?

For a moment, I just watched him drive off. I really did not understand where that just came from. I was practically frozen in place until the initial shock finally started dying down. And when it did, I stormed back into the diner.

"I need bleach- right now. I need to bleach the fuck out of my face, my insides, everything." I blurted out as I paced by the tables and booths, making my way behind the bar.

Kellin followed me there, snickering softly. "He seemed to be in an awfully good mood." He pointed out, obviously talking about Johnnie's behavior.

I ran my hands through my hair and sighed. "Yeah, what the hell was that anyway?! He's not supposed to be like that!" I then exclaimed, waving one of my arms in a random direction.

"Oh don't worry about it. Before you know it, he'll be back to the same asshole you know he really is." Kellin murmured in a reassuring way as he rubbed my arm until I finally let it fall beside me again.

"You're not considering getting back with him, are you?" He then asked, narrowing his eyes at me.

I gave him a blank look. "Would you ever consider getting back together with Jack?"

Kellin looked at me, his face turning into one of pure disgust. "Hell no, honey."

"Well there's your answer."

He then sighed and whipped his kitchen towel over his shoulder. "Honestly, I'd rather accidentally have sex with my cousin again." He said.

I snorted a little. "Yeah, gotta hate when that happens."

"Kellin, Max, please. . . this is not the kind of talk you should be having here. If you want to share stories about how you fucked your cousins, either go to the back or do that at home." Jaime then suddenly said, popping his head out of the kitchen before then disappearing again.

Kellin gasped in surprise. "How does he even—?" He began to whisper-yell at me.

"I hear everything!" Jaime then yelled from the storage room.

I snickered softly and grabbed my coat from underneath the bar. I only had a morning shift this day because I had promised to take Kyle to the big fair on the pier at the beach side for his birthday, and Tay was joining us.

Of course she had her personal driver bring us there, but not before I could make a quick stop by the house to get out of my uniform.

"Just stay in the car with Tay, I'll be right back." I said to Kyle when I kissed the top of his head.

I quickly got out of the fancy double-dour Aston Martin and made my way inside, met by Vic on the couch as he was furiously typing away on his laptop.

"Hey." I said, letting him know that it was just me.

"Hey." He then murmured in return, keeping his eyes on his screen.

I rolled my eyes and made my way upstairs into my room, getting some black skinny jeans and a crop top that said 'if you can't say anything nice, we should probably be friends' and laid them out on the bed as I started undressing.

Suddenly though, two arms wrapped around me from behind, startling me a little.

"You're right, you do smell like cinnamon rolls and coffee after your morning shift." Vic then whispered, his hot breath pouring down my neck.

I smiled a little, involuntarily biting my lip as one of his hands moved up to the zipper of my uniform. "What in the world are you doing?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Well you were already undressing, and I'm horny, so. . ." He then pressed himself against my back and I gasped when I felt his friend.

"Um, this is really not the time." I slowly said, trying to pry myself out of Vic's hold. I felt my face flush when he then kissed my neck before finally letting go.

"It's just. . . I promised I'd take my um-" Fuck. "I'm taking Tay to the fair." Ugh, good save, I think? I really wasn't quite ready yet to tell Vic about Kyle. I really just didn't know how.

I chuckled and backed away a little as I turned towards him. "Alright, that's fine." He said with an honest smile.

I did continue to undress while he stood there though, but only because he'd already seen it all once before anyway. Okay wait- so, maybe twice by now. Whatever.

"I did kinda wanted to ask you something, though." Vic then started as I shimmied into my skinny jeans.

"Oh yeah, like what?"

I looked at him as I closed the button on my jeans and quickly threw on my top. He scratched the back of his neck for a moment and frowned. "I don't know if people still do this these days, but um- I've been thinking about it, about us, and what we've been doing—"

I gave him a curious look, as if mentally telling him to get to the point, which surprisingly he then did.

"And well, I'm pretty sure I'd like it if you'd be my girlfriend. You know- if you want."