Chapter 29: No One Listens To Their Own Advice

"What?" I asked incredulously, even though I had heard him loud and clear. I felt my face heating up like mad. I was so not expecting this at all.

Vic's smile widened. "I said, will you marry me?" He repeated hopefully. "After that conversation we had this morning, about when the right time was to get married. . . it got me thinking. And it feels right, so why not listen to my own advice for once?"

I looked around anxiously, my eyes flicking to every of my surroundings for a moment. I looked everywhere. . . everywhere but at Vic. "Because no one listens to their own advice?" I stated with a nervous chuckle. "I mean, I tell people not to drink and drive, yet here I am without a license."

Kellin sighed deeply, shaking his head with amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Alright, I'm sorry, I'm rambling." I murmured as I looked back down at Vic again, who was still holding my hand with determination.

"Well, what do you say? Will you marry me, like. . . right now?" He asked, getting excited at the mere idea.

Wait, right now? As in now right now? In Las Vegas?

Vic nodded, almost as if he had read my mind. Or did I question him out loud?

"We can go to a cheesy Vegas chapel and have a terribly campy Elvis impersonator wed us while Kellin throws flower petals at our heads and we make up our own stupid vows on the spot. Nothing big, nothing too serious, because I know how you hate that."

I couldn't believe this was happening. Vic was actually sitting here, on one knee, in the middle of a fucking casino, asking me to marry him, just like that. It was flat-out ridiculous. I couldn't do it.

I couldn't say no.

"Ugh, my god, yes I will fucking marry you, you perfect idiot." I finally said, not being able to wipe the happy grin off my own face as Vic's lit up completely.

Kellin squealed, jumping up and down as he clapped excitedly. Other bystanders in our close vicinity overheard what was going on and started clapping and whistling as well. In the meantime, Vic got back up on his own two feet and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace.

"I almost thought you were gonna say no." He whispered into my ear.

"Well I did consider it for like a second." I teased.

- - -

(I actually sat through an entire Vegas wedding ceremony on youtube to get this right- now that's commitment)

So we actually did get married that same day. Turned out, all you had to do to get married in Las Vegas was get some forms, fill them out, and find a chapel. We found one pretty quickly, and then there I stood, at the door of the chapel as the campy Elvis impersonator sang his song and started walking me down the aisle.

Kellin and Oliver both sat on a bench at the front row, and Vic stood at the complete end of the aisle, grinning at me as we slowly approached him. This was so terrible that I absolutely loved it.

I hated big, expensive and traditional weddings. I mean it was cool for others, but it wasn't me. I definitely couldn't see myself walking down a long, fancy aisle in a virgin white wedding dress- saying my I do's as the sun went down. Jesus no.

Once finally at Vic's side, mister Elvis impersonator handed me over to him and stepped up in front of us. Vic smiled and held both of my hands as the speech began.

"Here we are at the city of lights, Las Vegas, in the Graceland Wedding Chapel." Elvis announced, putting on his best imitation. "We are here to celebrate a promise- a promise of love between Vic and Max."

We both looked at each other as Vic's thumbs caressed the back of my hands. This was really insane and so surreal. But it was happening.

"Marriage is two hearts with one love, which grew greater with each year—"

Suddenly Kellin cleared his throat. "Month." He coughed, subtly trying to correct Elvis. Both Vic and I chuckled at that. Shit, we were getting into this fast, weren't we?

"Oh." Elvis responded before continuing. "Which grew greater with each month and was treasured above all else. Marriage is a promise to communicate and share- to treat each other with respect- to care and to listen to each other. But marriage is also a commitment between a husband and a wife to be not only each other's lover but above all, and most importantly, be Elvis's lover."

All of us snorted as we gave the impersonator a less-than-impressed look.

"I'm just kidding." He laughed as he then came over to us and lit two thin candles. "Marriage is a journey where love is shared, sorrow is divided, but you share the same road, traveling side by side through life. Now if you will both please take a candle and light the one at the center."

Vic and I then carefully grabbed the two thinner candles, and held the burning ends close to the fat candle that stood at the center of the candleholder. "This represents your unity and bond as one- two becoming one." Elvis explained.

We both blew out the smaller candles and put them away as instructed, before then turning to each other again. We didn't have rings, but that didn't even matter to me. So instead we just held each other's hands as we spoke our last-minute made up vows.

"Max. . ." Vic began, letting out a nervous but happy sigh. "From the moment you stood at my door, I knew you were something else entirely. I just didn't know yet whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. But the night that we sat on the couch, eating ice cream while you criticized every horror movie that we watched, you had already completely changed my world. You make me feel young again- like I'm in love for the first time. And I never want that to end."

Everyone awed and I felt myself choke up a little, but I tried my hardest to fight it back. I had never cried in front of any of these people, and I wasn't going to now. Call me stubborn, but that's just how I am.

"Vic. . ." I then finally began, feeling rather nervous. But I just had to remind myself not to think too much about it, and just tell him what was in my heart. "From the moment you opened that door, I was basically hooked on you. You had me, hook line and sinker with your good looks, amazing talents and loving personality. I tried to fight it, like so much, but it was useless. You are to me what heroin is to my mother, and I am so planning on overdosing on you tonight. . . and for the rest of my life."

Vic shook his head in amusement as Kellin and Oliver laughed. That was probably a really weird speech, but I didn't care because it was true- I was basically addicted to Vic Fuentes. There was no other way of putting it.

"On behalf of the Graceland Chapel and the suit that I swear-" Elvis then began. "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Go kiss your wife, Vic, or I might have to." 

I giggled a little as Vic snaked his arm around my waist without hesitance, and planted his lips on mine as he dipped me backwards a little. Kellin cheered like a crazy person and began to throw pink rose petals at us while we kissed. It was so lame, but it was perfect. I was happy.

Once back at the hotel, after numerous drinks downstairs at the bar, Vic carried me into our room bridal style. We said goodnight to Kellin and Oli and made our way into our side of the suite.

Vic gently placed me on the bed and immediately crawled on top of me, leaning in for a deep, longing kiss. I still could hardly process what all had happened the past two days. Never once did I think that I would come here for fun and end up going home as a married woman. Like what the hell?

"Hi there Mrs. Fuentes." Vic then breathed, grinning down at me after he pulled away from the kiss.

"Hi there." I simply responded, giggling at how I enjoyed hearing him calling me that.

He left another quick peck on my lips and gently moved a lock of hair out of my face. "Never thought I'd be getting married in Vegas." He spoke softly, smiling as his eyes roamed around my face.

"Actually, I did. It was exactly how I always thought it would be." I admitted. "Well, except for that I wasn't drunk and high. . . and you aren't some random guy I picked up at a bar. But it was pretty close."

Vic chuckled lightly and kissed me again. "I love you, Max."

"I love you too, Vic."