Chapter 18: Have Him Wrap His Burrito

While Kellin and I were starting to clean up the diner and sending customers on their way, yet another customer came in. Usually the same local people ate here, but this one I had never seen before.

It was a middle-aged ginger-haired woman and she had about five of the same redheaded freckled kids trailing behind her. She immediately approached Kellin and I as we were cleaning up behind the bar.

"Good afternoon." She said cheerily.

I put on my best fake smile and looked up at her. "Hi, how can I help you? We were just closing down." I said, trying my best not to sound too rude by refraining from just pointing her right back to the door.

"Oh, this early?" She wondered. "Well anyways, I just came by because I wanted to ask what your children's party arrangements are."

"And here I was hoping that she came by to ask where to buy birth control." Kellin murmured softly into my ear before leaving my side of the bar and walking up to her.

I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from laughing while Kellin put on his own fake-ass smile and walked up to the lady. "Well I'd love to tell you, but we're closing now- more important stuff to attend to. So you can come by tomorrow, if you insist on giving your kid the worst party of their life and sending them and their little friends home with potential food poisoning."

The woman's jaw dropped as she instantly pulled one of her kids closely to her side. Her face then contorted into anger as Kellin just kept smiling at her. Luckily without a single word, she then decided to leave, pushing her kids out of the door one by one.

"Bye!" Kellin yelled after her while waving his hand. "Would love to see you tomorrow so we can discuss the party!"

Finally, I couldn't hold it in anymore and just started laughing.

Kellin locked up the front door, turned the small sign to 'closed' and sighed in contentment before then bolting into the kitchen.

"I can't believe how you guys haven't been fired yet." Tay then said, shaking her head in amusement from the booth that she was sitting at with Vic and Oliver.

I shrugged as I started taking off my apron. "Because Jaime knows all too well that he can't get anyone better." I simply stated.

I then made my way to their booth and slid into the seat beside Vic, to which he responded by immediately wrapping an arm around my waist and pecking my cheek. "Besides, I know he likes us, otherwise he never would've agreed to Kellin wanting to close earlier because of my stupid birthday."

"It's not stupid!" I heard Kellin yell from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and just ignored it. But then seconds later, he emerged from the kitchen with a small cake in his hands that had a single burning candle in the middle. And as if on cue, everyone started singing happy birthday.

I groaned internally but smiled anyway. It was lame, but I liked it.

Kellin shoved the cake in front of my face as they all finished singing. It was a small, round red velvet cake with chocolate frosting and red lettering that said 'happy birthday, bitch' and I couldn't help but to laugh.

"Well go on, blow!" Kellin urged, pointing at the candle as the wax started to leak onto the frosting.

I sighed, still not really caring much for the whole birthday celebration, even if it was in fact sweet and really nice. "I don't feel like blowing." I murmured, sticking my finger into the frosting and then eating it.

"Welcome to my world." Tay exclaimed with a roll of her eyes.

"We're not leaving until you blow out that candle, Max." Kellin then stated firmly as he crossed his arms over his chest, tapping his foot impatiently.