Chapter 5: You Only Live Once

"Can we talk?" Was the first thing Vic said when he came walking out of his bedroom one late morning, as I just replaced the painting with the new one we had made.

No, we can't. We really can't.

"Yeah, sure." I said anyway, putting on a cheery tone, even though I still didn't want to.

Vic gestured for the couch and I sighed internally as we both sat down. "About the other day—" He then started, but I immediately cut him off.

"Can we just pretend that never happened?" I blurted out, trying to hide my nerves. I never got nervous about these kinds of things; I had no idea what was wrong with me. "It's just- I really need this room, okay? And I know that I overstepped my boundaries when I kissed you. I'm sorry."

"Yeah but, I kissed you back, though." Vic added in.

I shook my head and bit my lip just slightly. "No- I mean- you did, but. . . I just don't want things to become awkward between us, alright? And please don't kick me out. It won't happen again. I just have a lot of things to deal with, and having this room in your house is a blessing, I don't want to mess that up."

He then chuckled lightly. "Things don't need to be awkward between us at all. And I'm not gonna kick you out, you're a nice girl. Also, if you want to talk about any problems you may have, I'll listen."

Damnit, why was he so nice?

"No." I firmly said as I looked at him. His eyes widened a little at my tone. "I do not talk about my problems. I just don't. That's not how Max works. I don't need your pity; I just need your room. Can we please forget it ever happened?"

Vic shrugged a little. "If that's what you want." Was it me, or did he just sound disappointed?

No, it wasn't what I wanted. But it was what was right. Right? I couldn't let whatever that was yesterday mess up what I was working on. That was far more important than any of this. Not that he'd ever understand.

"The painting looks nice up there." Vic then complimented, smiling up at the piece.

I was relieved that he had decided to change the subject and I nodded in agreement. It really did look nice, and I was quite proud of it. This had been my first collaboration-type work, and it turned out great, if I may say so myself.

"Don't get hung up on yesterday, alright? The feeling will go away on its own soon enough."

I furrowed my brows as I looked at him. "Vic, it's a feeling, not my father. Feelings don't tend to just walk out the door." I stated a little sourly. Wait- hold on, I just admitted that I did actually feel something. No, that can't be right.

"What?" He then asked me with a bit of confused laughter.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. God, I was such an idiot. "Never mind. I best be off to work before Kellin starts freaking out and gets his pink little lace panties in a bunch. Because we all know that business is booming and he can't possibly handle that on his own." Praise the lord; my old sarcastic self was coming back.

Vic nodded, smiling in amusement. "Alright, good luck."

- - -

"You kissed him?!" Kellin barked at me in a completely incredulous tone, as if he was disappointed that he didn't get to see it or something.

The day had dragged on slower than ever, but thank god, it was closing time now. We were cleaning the tables when I had sort of accidentally spilled the beans about what happened between Vic and I the other day.

"Yep." I simply confirmed, letting out a deep sigh.

"Oh my god!" Kellin squealed. "How was it? Was he good? I mean- got to give it to him- he's hot, Max." Suddenly an excited gasp escaped his lips and a grin spread across his face. "Did you do the do?"

"No way!" I practically screamed, throwing my kitchen towel at him.

He giggled and caught it in his hands. "Oh come on, why not? You only live once, yolo!" He teased before throwing the towel back in my direction.

I caught it just as easily and rolled my eyes. "And you will only live until the next time you say that to me."

I dipped the sponge into the bucket of soapy water again and continued cleaning the table that I was working on. God, some customers were such messy eaters. There was mustard all over this damned table. Yuck.

"But seriously, why not?" Kellin then asked after a moment of silence.

I groaned slightly, hoping he would've dropped the subject by now. But of course he hadn't- this was Kellin we were talking about.

"I just can't, okay? I can't mess this up. Besides, he's old." It was the lamest excuse in existence, but there you go.

"Yeah, like age ever stopped you before." Kellin retorted with a snicker. And sadly, he was right. "But you do want it, then?"

I squeezed the sponge in my hand and flung it directly at Kellin's face, as a mental and physical way of telling him to shut the hell up already. "Just drop it. It's not like that, Kells. You know why I can't."

"Yeah, yeah, heard it all before." He sighed, admitting that the reasons that I had were good enough. Well, they were in my opinion anyway. I just hated to talk about it. Only him and Tay knew- Vic honestly didn't need to.

"But wait- hold on a second. Did I understand that correctly?" Kellin then asked in a teasing tone as he came closer. He put his ear closely to my chest and listened for a few seconds. "Did somebody just manage to melt Max's cold heart? Does she have feelings now?" He gasped dramatically, earning a less-than-impressed look from me.

"You need to stop before I drown your pretty little head in that bucket, Kells."

He snorted and fluttered back off to clean the bar. "No need to be so mean, Maxine. But hey, if you're not going after him, I so will."

I chuckled lightly. "Of course, because you can make any man come out of the closet with your amazing charm. Speaking of which, how did that go with Justin?"

Kellin simply glared at me and stuck out his tongue, only making me laugh as a result.

Did I really like Vic like that though? Already? I mean he was charming, sweet, funny. . . I hadn't liked anyone in forever though. How did that even feel?

But man, if I did, that would make for such a mess.