Getting To Know You

Abby

I sing along as he drives until he turns into the drive and punches in the code to open the large gate. He pulls through and I turn off the radio but he looks at me.

Why'd you do that? I was enjoying you singing.

I laugh and kiss his cheek. He smiled and flips my skirt up. I giggle but smack his hand for the second time and we park.

Baby I was only playing. You know I like to play. I can't help myself. You're just so damn sexy.

I smile and lean over to kiss him as his hand slides on up and he freezes then pulls me toward him.

Oh baby that no fair. You can't go around with no panties and expect me not to want more.

I giggle and kiss him then start to climb over when I hear another car pull up so I pull away and look to see Patrick pulling up so he groans and I snicker.

Aww it'll be okay baby. You better get used to my family getting in our business I'm sure yours will to eventually.

Yeah my parents already ask about you all the time and dad wanted to have a private talk with me yesterday when I stopped by to see what he needed. I don't think they understand that I work after school and I spend all my time with you when I'm not working.

I smile and get out. Patrick walks over and smiles as we walk in I notice right away that there's things very specific things that my mom has mentioned in this house that stand out. Like he would entertain in the sitting room. Then I notice a huge stereo system in the corner. We walk on and I see an old video game system hooked up to the tv in the living room and all the CD's and tapes he had. So I know he was a big music lover like me. I smile to myself then move on to look at the bedrooms upstairs and find a child's bedroom. Patrick grins looking in.

We never understood why he set this room up for a little girl but he set the next room up as a play room to. Its loaded with toys. But now we know and if he knew why didn't he tell us or why didn't your mom?

I don't know. Maybe she was afraid of the rejection from your family. My dad built this house for her though. I can tell by the way he laid it out and the things he put in it. This house was built for them. He wanted to make us a family.

That may be so but she refused him over and over. He told me about it. He begged her to come back. He never told me she was pregnant though. Your mother broke his heart and he rebelled turning to several women and drugs. The Marines was the only way he saw to save himself. He joined thirteen years ago. They declared him missing in action years ago but just before you arrived they declared him a casualty of war. They still haven't found him. We've been waiting a few years for news to give him a proper funeral.

I frown and move on to his bedroom where I find an old picture of my mom on the nightstand next to the bed with her letter telling him she's not coming back and for him to move on. I grin and look around then walk into the office. I search the files and get an idea of all the houses he owned then I look at the desk. I start looking through everything while Patrick watches as I plunder then I hear a thud as I push the drawer back and realize it has a hidden compartment. I pull everything out and pull out the lid. Patrick grinds and walks over now interested.

What's that?

A hidden compartment. It has pictures and letters in it and it looks like some drawings.

I say as I start pulling things out.

I open the letters one by one and the each one has a picture of me as I grow starting as a newborn until around five years old. Patrick looks and reads one then looks at the pictures we put them back then I pull the drawings out and he smiles. It's the three of us. My mom, me and him as a family. He drew us as a family in all different settings. Some here in this house some out in the yard some with just blank backgrounds. I pick one out and take it. I'm taking it with me. I know they said not to but I want something that my dad did and this is something we have in common. He even signs on the back like I did before I was told to start signing on the front. I'm going to start doing it my way again. I put everything back.