Meet the Dragon Within

Sweet Starry Shadows
Chapter 27: Meet the Dragon Within

Without even knowing, Lucy muttered something under her breath as she slowly opened her eyes to find herself looking up to bright, glowing green leaves which seemed to natural light made by the sun. Her eyes feeling heavy as she held her head with one hand, she sat up to find something heavy resting on her stomach in which she looked down and blushed upon.
Resting beside her upper thigh was Rogue who had his arm draped around her stomach. His mouth slightly open as he slept, he shifted uncomfortably since he was bent over from his seat to rest his head on the lounge that she was sleeping on.

For some reason, she found him sort of cute acting like this. It was as if he was allowing her to see his weakest side rather than his quiet facade. As she stared at him for a moment, she wondered why he was so protective over her for the last few passing months since they had joined.
Every time they were in near threat of being severely hurt, he would be the one to push her away before something was to happen. When she was getting tired during their pursuit, he too would always grab her hand and gently pull her along.

Was she weak to him? No, it couldn't be. If that were to be the case, he would've dropped her training with him and left her to train by herself.
No matter how much they've trained, the results would always be the same when it came to her trying to learn his magic. With that in mind, she felt useless knowing that she would never be able to become a Dragon Slayer.

"Thinking about something?" a voice interrupted, making the blonde look up to meet eyes with her dragon friend.

Everyone was still asleep as she looked down to Chaverine resting her head against Sakura's lap as she patted her head gently. The crimson leaning against the Lightning Dragon Slayer since she was situated next to him, Laxus had his arm defensively behind her head where it was holding up his head. From the looks of it, it looked like a beautiful family portrait as she stared at them in wonder.

Quietly nodding her head, she glanced over to the cage to see the man sleeping. His legs tucked into his chest as he slightly shivered to the cold floor, she ripped her eyes away from him to look back down to her friend who was now glaring at the man.
"He's not dead. I've told you before and I'll repeat it again, you can lose your magic once the heart is destroyed at a certain degree..." Sakura explained before cracking her bones around her stiff neck. "Back to my question, what are you thinking about?"

Lucy sat there with her hands fiddling with each other. Biting her lips as she thought about her previous thoughts when she woke up, she let go of her lips and sighed. "Why can't I learn his magic?" she asked, knowing that the crimson would know who she was referring to.

Her eyes watching as Sakura shifted a bit where she looked up to Laxus then down to Chaverine to make sure that she hasn't woken them, she sighed in relief before turning her attention back to her. "I figured that you'd ask such a thing sooner or later, and I'm now thankful that I had time to think about it before answering you," Sakura replied. "The reason why you're unable to use his magic is due to your own magic rejecting it. You're a Celestial Spirit mage and learning something that's different must have made it reject the matter. From what I see, you have potential for something stronger... Something like Celestial Dragon Slaying..." Sakura continued where her words left the blonde stunned.

The girl looking down to her hands, she hummed. "So, you're telling me that I can learn Celestial Dragon Slaying?" she asked. She listened for Sakura's reply. "Yes, and what's great about that, you can also learn our magic once you're able to grasp onto it," Sakura answered to which she snapped her head up to look at her in confusion.

"So, I'll become someone like you? To be able to control more than an element?" she asked once again. Her mouth began to turn into a smile as she watched the crimson nod her head. For some reason, she felt proud of herself to know that she was capable of learning Dragon Slaying magic. Such a thing today would be impossible, but now look at her. She was going to become a Dragon Slayer! She was going to become someone worth knowing about.