Chapter 8: I Love You Kiddo

Start from the beginning

I turned around on my heels and quickly made my way to the bus, which was thankfully already approaching the stop that I was headed to. I had to get to work, so I didn't have time for useless chitchat anyway. I was only here to let my son know that I was picking him up after school, since his father probably neglected to tell him that.

"I just want to talk, Max." Vic urged as he followed me.

But I basically just ignored him and went into the bus. He shouldn't be talking to me at all- he should be at home with his fiancée, still snuggled up in bed with her at this time of day.

"Are you getting on too, sir?" The driver asked Vic as I took my seat.

I glanced over, watching him shrug as he stood before the doors of the bus. "I guess not." He sighed, looking at me one last time before the doors closed.

- - -

The diner closed earlier on Mondays, which considering that I had Kyle for the evening was a total blessing. The last few customers were starting to leave as Kellin brought the empty plates into the kitchen for me to wash up.

"Thank god, it's almost over." He groaned as he placed the dirty dishes into the big sink before me. "I can't wait to get home, take off my pants and watch the re-run of Sex and the City."

I snickered a little and rolled my eyes. "Don't you ever get sick of watching that over and over?" I asked him.

"I'll get sick of watching it the day you get sick of watching those two brothers with their daddy issues and that obliviously cute angel." Kellin simply retorted with a small smirk.

Okay, so I had a bit of an obsession with Supernatural. Big deal. Can you blame me, though? The entire cast is so good; I even tend to cry when something happens to the car!

See? I do have a soft side for things.

Kellin turned to my son who was sitting at the small table on the other side of the kitchen and smiled at him. "So, spending the night with your mommy, are you?" He asked Kyle.

Kyle nodded happily in response. "Yep! And thanks for the food, mister Quinn."

Kellin laughed. "How many times have I told you to just call me Kellin? You're making me feel old calling me mister Quinn- almost as old as your mom!"

That made Kyle laugh too. Kellin was only like two months younger than me, but according to him, gay people age differently. I knew that it was a joke, but still, he's an idiot.

They chatted on about school for a moment, until I could hear the bell on the front door starting to ring, signaling that someone had come into the diner.

Kellin groaned in annoyance. "We're closed!" He yelled before storming out of the kitchen. "Come back tomorrow!"

"I'm just looking for Max, is she here?"

I almost dropped the plate that I was holding when I recognized it was Vic's voice. Great, now he was stalking me at my job too. Just brilliant.

"Hold on a second." I heard Kellin say in a less than impressed tone.

Only seconds later he came back into the kitchen. Giving me a look, as if mentally trying to ask me what he should do. He knew all about what had happened, so I kind of wondered why he still had to ask.

"Oh he ain't coming inside." I simply stated, motioning my finger around the area of the kitchen.

Kellin chuckled lightly. "He better not, you don't need another baby right now." He teased.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Funny, Kells, very funny." I grumbled sourly at his stupid joke.

He then tapped his hand on the door and smiled. "I'll get rid of him."

He left the kitchen again, and for a moment it stayed quiet, until Vic finally spoke up. "Is she here? Can I talk to her? It's really important." He urged, sounding a little worried.

I heard Kellin sigh deeply. "Honey, look, I don't know if there's a version for straight men of 'He's Just Not That Into You'- but if I find a copy, I'll send it to you."

I had to fight to hold back a snicker when I heard him say that. I mean honestly, that was actually a good one- although sadly not true. I was way more 'into him' than I wanted to be.

"She'll come collect her stuff when she's ready, okay? Good night."

The bell on the front door rung again and Kellin then came into the kitchen, sighing and giving me an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry." I murmured, even though I wasn't really sure why I was apologizing.

"It's okay, sweetie." Kellin assured me. "He did seem a little upset, though. He really wants to talk to you."

"And I will." I said, a little more firmly than I meant to. "Just. . . just not today. Not with Kyle around."

Kellin nodded knowingly. "Yeah I get that. Go on to Tay's, have fun with the kid while you can."

I smiled in appreciation and gave him a quick hug. "Thanks, Kells."