Destiel: Mom (AU)

Castiel sighed as he say criss-crossed in front of the familiar gray stone. "Hey mom." He whispered. "Today's the big day. 18." He looked down and played with the grass.

"Uh, Anna wants to take me out tonight. Says I should be happy. What does she know? She's just dads distraction. I know you wouldn't want me to say that, you'd tell me that he is genuinely happy, and that you're glad he moved on, but I can't, I can't think of her as anything but his way to forget, just a little bit.

"Five years. Today would be five years since you left me. I know you tried. I know you fought as hard as you could, and I'm so grateful for that. You held on until I blew out my candles."

A single tear spilled over his cheek.

"The doctors, they said that if you stayed at the hospital you would've made it at least another week, if you hadn't insisted on coming home. I know it's selfish of me to want more time with you. I know I'm lucky for having you as long as I did, but God damnit mom, I need you."

Tear after tear. He could see anything. He jumped when a hand touched his shoulder.

"It's just me."

He relaxed slightly. "Why are you here? How did you find me?" Castiel asked through his tears. "It wasn't hard to figure out. And I'm here for you."

"I'm not leaving Dean, I'm staying here. You can't make me celebrate." He said angrily. "That's not why I'm here. I would never force you to do anything." Dean sat down behind Cas and he leaned back on him.

"You don't have to stop. Talk to her all you like." Dean said softly.

Cas nodded before he continued. "I love you, ma. There are so many times when if think about you and just wonder if you'd be proud. I know I've made some mistakes, and done some things you wouldn't approve of, and they haunt me every night. You never got to meet Dean. I know you never really approved of same sex relationships, and that stopped me from being with him for so long.

"But, I like to think you would approve. You always just wanted me happy, and that's what he makes me. The boys give him a hard time. Gabriel hits on his little brother, Sam, sometimes, I think he likes him."

Slowly the tears stopped.

"Days like today, and so many others, I think about what you'll miss. My graduation, my wedding, my children, if I have any, but sometimes I manage to remember what you were there for. My first steps, my first words, my first day of school, my first day of middle school, me first day as a teenager.

"You were always the one I went to. That time the kids were picking on me, when I wanted to know how to talk to my crush. It was all you. So thank you, for just, being my mom."

Dean softly kissed Castiel's head. "It's alright, baby." He cooed. "I miss her so much." Castiel turned around to throw himself into Dean's arms. Dean rubbed his back comfortably as he he quietly shushed him.

As he rocked Cas back and forth, the sobs slowly stopped, but he never moved. Dean looked up at the stone.

"Hey Mrs. Novak. I'm Dean. I uh, I really, really like your son. He's the best thing to ever happen to me, next to my little brother. I've never gotten to meet you, so I guess I should take advantage. I've been with Cas for about a year, and it's been a rollercoaster. Did you know her puts peanut butter on his pickles?"

"I got it from her." Castiel said quietly. "Like mother like son." Dean laughed. Castiel picked his head up and faced the tomb once again. "We can go if you wa-"

"Shh, I'm not done." Dean glared playfully.

"Now I do have a question. Where did Cas get his eyes? I mean, I've met Chuck, and it's not from him, but man, it's like they hold the sky and ocean. Now, he says there nothing special, but he also prefers wine over beer."

Castiel laughed quietly. Dean had always criticized his alcohol choices.

"I've seen pictures if you. I see where Cas gets his beauty, I mean you were stunning." There was a slap on his shoulder. "Stop flirting with my mom."

"Sorry, babe. Cas doesn't like to share." Dean whispered the last part to the rock, making Castiel roll his eyes.

For the next five hours, they sat in that spot. Dean told Castiel's mom about their first date all the way to that day, and it was the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for the boy. They only left when Castiel's many, many sibling blew up his phone about 'not seeing their brother on his birthday'. Naturally Castiel ignored it, but then he pictured his mother slapping him upside the head if she found out.

So there they were, in Dean's car since Cas walked, on their way back to the house. "Thank you." Castiel said. Dean looked over briefly. "For?"

"Today. Everything you've ever done. Just, being there."

Dean smiled and reached out to grab Castiel's hand. "I'd do anything for you. Besides, I think it was about time I met the Mrs. I mean, when I was I gonna? On the honeymoon?" Dean joked.

"Can you be honest with me?"

"Of course."

"Do you see a wedding in the future? Between us I mean?" Cas asked nervously. "It's only been a year, but don't think there's anyone else I'd rather spend the rest of my life with." Dean smiled.

"And kids? Wouldn't you ever want some?"

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with adoption."

"You are so amazing." Castiel scooted to be middle seat to rest his head on Dean's shoulder. "Promise not to freak out?" Dean mumbled. "Promise."

"I love you."

"Pull over." Dean obeyed and pulled to the side of the road. "I'm sor-" Dean's apology was cut short when Castiel placed their lips together. "Hate to get into a car crash by distracting you." He smiled. Dean returned it before smashing them together once more.

As they pulled back on to the road Cas remember something.

"Oh! I love you too." Dean laughed and kissed the back of his boyfriends hand. Sure there were a few thing Castiel wanted to change about that day, about his life, but Dean, Dean was the one thing he would never want to give up, and that made it a little more okay.