Destiel: Break

"Cas, you can't just jump out unarmed!" Dean yelled. "I'm fine! I wasn't hurt, was I?" Castiel made sure to match his volume. "Because me and Sam were there to cover your ass!"

"Dean, I am not a glass doll. I was a hunter before and I am one now."

"No, you were an angel before. You can die now. You're not ready to jump back into the fire."

"Stop telling me how I feel. What I can and can't do! I am your partner Dean, not your employee. All you do is boss me around!"

"You think I boss you around too much? Then why are you even here? Leave." Castiel had a look of shock, but left the room silently.

Dean immediately pulled at his hair and laid on his bed. He already regretted telling Castiel to leave, but he was too stubborn to admit he was wrong.

After a few hours, when the two calmed down, Castiel returned. "Dean.. I need to talk to you."

"Yeah, I know."

"We need a break."

Dean's head snapped up. That's not what he was expecting Castiel to say. "What?" Dean walked closer to the fallen angel. "We fight too much. That's not healthy. I want this to work out, but I believe we must get space from each other for a while."

Dean immediately got angry. He didn't know why, it just pissed him off. "Fine. You want a break? You got one. But don't think that I'll just be waiting around for you." Dean spat.

"I don't expect you to... Goodbye, Dean."

As soon as the door shut Dean threw a vase at it. He knocked over his desk. He broke everything that could be broken. The bed post was cracked, the lamp was broke, posters ripped. There was even a hole in the wall, which Dean created when he ran out of things to destroy.

Dean soon left the room, heading to a local bar. He ordered about one of everything. He brought some random girl out to the car. He repeated. Eventually he got a motel room and spent the week there, each night with a different girl, maybe two.

When Castiel went back to Dean and saw his room, fear was his first response. It wasn't hard for him to find where Dean was staying. The unique Impala was parked right outside the motel door.

Castiel didn't bother knocking, just walked in, assuming Dean would be alone. He quickly realized his mistake when he saw a shirtless Dean and a topless girl. "Dean, seriously where's my shirt?" She laughed. "It's... Around." Dean smirked.

Castiel awkwardly cleared his throat. "Hey, Cas." Dean greeted casually. "Uh, hey." The girl waved. "Hello. Dean, is it possible to talk to you?"

"Sure. Babe, your shirts under the sink." Dean winked and she rushed out of the room. "What's up?"

"I've been thinking. I came here ready to move on. I told myself, we can work this out, it'll be ok. But Dean, y-you actually slept around." Castiel's voice broke as his eyes watered. "I thought.. I thought that was just something you said in the heat of the moment. While I was out there, trying to find a way to make this okay, you were drinking, having sex with people other than me."

"We were on a break."

"Yes, Dean! A break. We weren't broken up. We were just, on pause. I guess I should thank you for making this very easy on me. I didn't know what I was gonna do or say once I got here, but this made it very clear. Continue on with what ever you've been doing. I won't be back."

Dean didn't react. At least not on the outside. Internally, he was screaming at himself. Saying it was all his fault, he always ruins everything good in his life. He broke his angels heart. Dean's attitude remained neutral from that point all the way back to the bunker. He told Sam he was fine. Sam believed him. Dean went to his broken, messy room, it triggered a thought.

Funny, kinda like me.

He cleared off his bed and laid face fest on to the pillow. He didn't know when he started crying. He didn't know when he stopped breathing. He didn't know when his heart felt like it was getting ripped out of his chest. All he knew was he missed Castiel more than anything.

He dragged himself out of bed after a few hours. He went straight to the kitchen and grabbed a beer, chugging half of it. "Dean, it's 3 a.m." Dean whipped around and saw the man he so helplessly adored.

"Yeah, well, what d'you care?" Dean mumbled. "Dean." Castiel sighed. "What?" Dean snapped. "I still care about you. I will always care. But you have proven you do not care too much about my feelings. At the first glimpse of a break up, you got into bed with the first female you saw."

"What else was I supposed to do?! It's easier to sleep with someone than sit here and think about all the reasons I don't deserve you, and all the reasons every fight is my fault!"

"You are my bestfriend, Dean. Whether we are together or not that will never change. I did want you to think over a few things, I guess I momentarily forgot about you constant need to twist everything to where it is your fault."

"Just, leave me alone, Cas. I can't- I can't be around you right now. I'm sorry." Dean grabbed his beer and two unopened ones before heading back to his room.

It was a few weeks until Dean cleaned his room, it felt like a turning point, like he was moving on. He and Castiel had talked it out and they moved passed it, remaining bestfriends and that's all. There were a few incidents, personal space, hand brushing, small little things, but it was slowly making them both mad.

Until one day, Dean kissed him. Castiel argued that they couldn't work, that they tried, and Dean promised to be better. It led to a bigger fight and then not talking for weeks. Remaining friends. That was the only solution, and that's what they did, no matter how much it hurt the both of them.

Sorry that this is really not happy... But you'll get through it, I got through writing it.