Chapter 1: It's Short For Maxine

"You can just stay here with me, you know?" My spoiled, rich, haven't-had-to-work-a-day-in-my-life-and-loving-it best friend suggested, once again. "I mean, you don't have to pay rent here, and you can do basically whatever."

How did I ever meet her in the first place? Oh, wait, right, I catered a lot of her gala's back in the day as an extra job. Those were the good days, they paid hella good.

I groaned and rolled my eyes once again, about to leave for yet another interview about renting a room in some guy's place. "I need to show them that I can be responsible, self-sufficient, and all that other crap. So no, Tay, I'm not staying here with you."

I started making my way down her way too big, shiny, marble white staircase while she whined and stayed closely behind me. "Are you sure that you want to go to this one though? I mean, what if he's total a creep? His name sounds Mexican." She pointed out with slight disapproval and worry in her voice.

I rolled my eyes and snickered softly. "Do I need to remind you that your pool boy is Mexican? Don't you have a crush on him?" I retorted, smirking back at her over my shoulder.

"That's different, he works for us."

I just snickered again. "Don't go all racist on me, Tay. Mexicans are hard workers. . . well, when they need to be anyway."

Tay then shot me a skeptic look. "Now look at who's the racist."

I rolled my eyes once more. God, I did that so often, I was surprised that they hadn't rolled to the back of my head yet. That would look totally funny.

"I need this room, okay? It's close to the diner and it's way cheaper than the last place I went to. I'll actually be able to save money for once." I explained to Tay, almost sounding like a teenage girl begging her mother for permission to go to some shitty party with a boy.

"Alright, fine, for Kyle." Tay then sighed, giving me a small smile at the end.

I jumped excitedly and wrapped her up in a hug. "I have a good feeling about this, Tay. But if I'm not back by tonight to either sulk or pick up my stuff, then this mister Fuentes guy probably got deported and stuffed me into the trunk of his car. In that case, please come visit me in Mexico?"

She started laughing and pulled away from the hug, shaking her head lightly. "Don't make jokes like that when you're with him. Be nice."

I crossed my arms and pouted. "But I am nice!" I protested like a small child.

"Be nicer."

- - -

I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. From here the place looked kinda nice. Hell, what was I saying? This building looked weird. Didn't look like a house at all.

But it was cheap, big; close to where I worked- this had to be it. I had to get this room, no matter what. I rang the doorbell once again and sighed deeply.

Please don't kidnap me and take me to Mexico, I quietly said as I heard the door being unlocked from the inside. I took another breath and exhaled, putting on my best smile as the door opened.

"Hi there. Can I help you?" The man said, flashing me a pearly white smile in return.

It took everything in me not to let my jaw drop down to the curb. Holy mother of god, he was not what I was expecting.

I blame Tay for putting the idea in my head that I was going to be meeting a fat, short, creepy Mexican guy with a receding hairline, a big mustache and a sombrero hanging from his neck.