Like Father, Like Daughter

"You can't stop us Shadow. Now we have you and your offspring we'll have more than enough power!"
Shadow had been tricked. When he had backed up to protect Maria, he had accidentally activated a second glass tube, which had trapped him as well.

"You won't get away with this."
Scorch ignored him, chuckling, "Now, let's see how powerful she is."
A machine crackled into life, scanning Maria from head to foot. Shadow tried to break the glass, but it was protected by some sort of force field that gave him a nasty electric shock. His quills stood on end for several minutes.
"Dad! Are you OK?"
"I'm fine Maria. Oh, this is all my fault. I should've been more careful."
"Dad, don't blame yourself."
"You sound just like your mother."
"Interesting. The reading's off the charts. She's even more powerful than we thought," Scourge remarked as a loud explosion rang out outside.
"Sounds like we have unwanted visitors too," Scorch smirked.
"Let's go teach them a lesson they won't forget."
"I agree."
Tears formed in Shadow's eyes as they left," Dang. Just... why now?"
"Dad, please calm down."
"It's OK, Maria. Don't worry about me."
"Dad, I think I can get us out."
"How?"
Maria pointed to a jewel Scourge had left on the nearby table, "Is that one of the Chaos Emeralds you've told me so much about in your stories?"
"Yeah it is. But how are we going to get out of these tubes?"
"I'll melt my way through!"
Shadow had stopped using his control over fire when Maria was born, afraid he would loose control of it and hurt her, "Just be careful, OK?"
"I will Dad."
Maria pressed a white-hot hand to the glass surrounding her. It became liquid in seconds, giving her an escape route. Climbing out of the remains of her prison, she released her father by pressing a small button with release written on it.
"There we go. Let's get out of here."
Shadow grabbed the Emerald and lifted it up to eye level. Scourge must have snuck down to the basement where he and Y/N had hidden the Chaos Emeralds after they had been repaired. He crouched in front of her, "Hold on to the Emerald and say Chaos Control at the same time as I do, OK?"
"OK Dad."
"Ready?"
"Uh huh."
Both of them took a deep breath, holding on tight to each other and the Emerald. Shadow was about to say Chaos Control with her when an explosion threw debris into his back. He pulled Maria close to protect her.
"Say it now, Maria, say it now!"
"CHAOS CONTROL!"
A blinding flash of light enveloped them both and Shadow knew no more.